With the weather getting abit chilly, the folks at Down To Earth Markets sent us this warm, nourishing and tasty vegan soup recipe packed with winter veggie goodness.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 pound white turnips, cut into ¾ “ pieces
- 1 pound small red potatoes, cut in 1” pieces
- Fresh black pepper
Get the Harlem World Newsletter
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks, season with a little salt, and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and caraway seeds and sauté for 1 more minute.
2. Add 6 cups of water, the turnips, and potatoes, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the 1 tsp. of salt, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Add the chard and simmer until wilted, 2-3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Check out more recipes here.