The Polo Grounds Stadium opened in 1889 when the New York Giants moved to Coogans Hollow, a meadow below Coogans Bluff. In this rare elevated view (unlike an earlier view from 1953 where it shows a flattening of the Harlem landscape) looking northwest at homes at an elevated rough Coogans Bluff in Harlem, New York 1895.
The sprawl of the Polo Grounds stadium was located along 155th and 157th Streets and 8th Avenue (running north and south) where the New York Giants and the New York Yankees played season and season out. The photograph was taken on the far east side of Harlem, somewhere around 153rd Street.
Support Harlem World MagazineToday!