Gnocchi is a type of pasta that can be prepared in different flavorful manners.
It is a dough made with potatoes mixed with wheat flour, butter, milk, egg, and grated cheese. Most of the time homemade gnocchi are more recommended than store-bought ones, since they are much tastier and, of course, healthier. Besides, they can be perfect with all kinds of sauces.
In this post we want to show you how to make this potato gnocchi, a really straightforward recipe that works amazing. We will also provide some information about how to cook them, and some nutritional facts for you to learn more about gnocchi.
How to cook gnocchi
Gnocchi can be used basically as a side dish, but when prepared with a delicious creamy sauce and vegetables can be a complete and nutritious main course.
They are extremely tempting when they are wrapped in a smooth, shiny and creamy sauce. They provide quite a tasty and pleasant sensation in the palate.
They can also bring a thousand and one flavors thanks to the different types of cheese, aromatic herbs and spices, vegetables, bacon or ham with which they can be prepared.
Cheese is one of the most common ingredients used to make the delicious creamy sauces with which these little potato dumplings can be accompanied. You can use Parmesan, brie, blue cheese, emmental, ricotta, all of which provide diverse textures and aromas.
Next you will find a simple recipe for you to prepare gnocchi at home. Let’s see the details about it.
Below are the details to prepare this recipe.
The amounts indicated are sufficient for two servings.
- 500 g gnocchi.
- 1 chive.
- 1 small or medium garlic clove.
- 400 g natural chopped tomato.
- 125 g fresh mozzarella.
- 30 g Parmesan cheese.
- Ground black pepper.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat a pot with plenty of salted water.
- When it is boiling, add the gnocchi and stir gently so that they do not stick to the bottom.
- Bring the water to the boil and drain quickly, gently, when the gnocchi rise to the surface.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Chop the spring onion and the garlic clove.
- Heat a little olive oil in the bottom of a casserole dish and fry the spring onion with a pinch of salt for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic clove, stir well and add the tomato with its juices.
- Add a pinch of black pepper, salt and basil to taste.
- Let the liquid reduce for about 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add the gnocchi, stir and add half of the mozzarella cut into small cubes.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish, evenly distributing all the ingredients, and cover with the grated Parmesan.
- Chop the rest of the mozzarella and spread it on top.
- Add a dash of pepper and bake in the oven with the broiler for 5-10 minutes.
If you really enjoyed gnocchi, in https://olivieri.ca/gnocchi-recipes/ you can find several appetizing recipes with different flavors and diverse complexity.
This pasta is rich in complex carbohydrates and can perfectly be included in the framework of a healthy diet. By incorporating the protein part, healthy fats and vegetables, it becomes a complete dish by itself.
Gnocchi contain, besides complex carbohydrates, mostly starch. They also provide:
- B group vitamins.
- Vitamin C. Since this nutrient is sensitive to heat, it is advisable to cook potatoes with skin to preserve it.
On the other hand, this food is low in fat and sodium, as well as being satiating and easy to digest.
Actually, the fat will come from the ingredients that are added, either to the dough (cheese, for example) or to the accompanying sauce (butter, bacon, ham).
The egg used in the preparation of gnocchi contains some fat as well, but this is a food usually included in any regular diet.