A great, clear photograph by James Reuel Smith looking northwest taken of the Wells and Springs building on the shoreline of the Hudson River (with a ship passing in the distance), from the other side of the railroad tracks, between West 122nd and 123rd Streets in West Harlem, New York, on September 28, 1897.
There were a community of Wells and Springs that ran throughout the uptown area, from Harlem to the Bronx, connected to the historic “Indian Springs” of the Wecksquaesgeek Indians. From 1897 to 1901, Smith bicycled throughout Harlem documenting the transformation of Harlem from the pre-history of the “Indian Springs,” to farmland Harlem, to the industrial revolution, to the subway – that dictated the closing and the end of the wells and springs being open and accessible to Harlemites.
James Reuel Smith died in 1935.
Check out more articles regarding Harlem Wells and Springs here.
Become an Harlem World Insider - Sign-Up For Our Newsletter!