The application period for Ladders for Leaders is open through January 24 2020. We want to get the word out because we would like for more young people to apply and also we would like to engage more employers to be part of this program to hire youth.
Ladders for Leaders is a nationally recognized program that offers high school and college students the opportunity to participate in paid professional summer internships with leading corporations, non-profit organizations and government agencies in New York City. The program is an initiative of the NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and supported by the NYC Center for Youth Employment and the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City.
- In 2019, over 1,000 young people worked in nearly 400 worksites across the City, with salaries ranging between $15 and $29 per hour.
- Thirty percent of participants received an offer to continue employment after the program.
- We have great success stories, young people who are from humble beginnings who have been offered permanent employment after completing this program and who are available to be interviewed.
Ladders for Leaders: Ladders for Leaders gives students a unique opportunity to explore their interests and discover new ones through:
- Pre-employment Training: Receive help with résumé and cover letter writing, and interviewing skills. Learn essential workplace readiness skills and business etiquette.
- Paid Summer Internships: Paid internship opportunities available in a variety of industries to accommodate student interests.
- Opportunity to join our growing Alumni Network: Broad network of alumni, post-internship opportunities and networking events open only to past participants of the program.
Who is Eligible?
- Youth between the ages of 16-21 who are enrolled in high school or college
- A minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00
- A resident of one of the five boroughs of New York City
- Anyone with prior work experience, either paid or volunteer
- Legally allowed to work in New York City