As part of this sponsorship, Wells Fargo will provide a total of $300,000 in scholarships to the competing schools in addition to offering virtual and in‑person financial workshops to equip students, alumni, and the HBCU community with greater access to financial and wealth‑building tools.
“HBCUs nurture the success of our future leaders and create pathways to today’s leading industries such as financial services,” said Gigi Dixon, head of External Engagement for Diverse Segments, Representation, and Inclusion at Wells Fargo. “Wells Fargo has a long history of supporting HBCUs, and this is another example of this work as we celebrate the HBCU legacy and excellence in sports while providing a platform for learning and growth. Investing in the HBCU community now and in the future is critically important to Wells Fargo.”
Wells Fargo will serve as the official banking sponsor for the following games (continuing after the Brick City HBCU Kickoff Classic that was on September 2, 2023, and the Orange Blossom Classic: Jackson State University vs. Florida A&M University that was on September 3, 2023):
The remaining games include:
- HBCU New York Classic: Morehouse College vs. Albany State University – September 16, 2023
- Florida A&M University Homecoming: FAMU vs. Prairie View A&M University – October 28, 2023
- Florida Blue Cross Blue Shield Florida Classic: Florida A&M University vs. Bethune‑Cookman University – November 18, 2023
- Bayou Classic: Southern University and A&M College vs. Grambling State University – November 25, 2023
“Through the Orange Blossom Classic, we’ve witnessed firsthand the transformative impact that Wells Fargo brings to HBCU communities,” said Kendra Bulluck, Executive Director of the Orange Blossom Classic Committee. “Their commitment to not only football but also to education and financial empowerment, serves as a testament to their dedication to our students’ success, resonating louder than cheers in the stadium. As the executive director of the Orange Blossom Classic Committee, I’m thrilled to see Wells Fargo’s expanded support across multiple major HBCU football classics, spreading opportunities for growth and learning. Their involvement in our event and others is a game‑changer for our institutions and our future leaders.”
Wells Fargo will host financial workshops that address wealth and investment management, housing and mortgages, supplier diversity, and elder fraud prevention. Workshops are open to all students and HBCU community members looking to advance their financial knowledge or grow their business with Wells Fargo. These efforts are part of Wells Fargo’s broader commitment to making financial education more accessible as The Bank of Doing.
Wells Fargo’s long‑standing support of HBCUs includes the following:
- Since 2011, Wells Fargo has provided more than $39 million directly to HBCUs and to the organizations that support them, including the United Negro College Fund (UNCF), the Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF), and the Jackie Robinson Foundation.
- Last year, Wells Fargo also presented $200,000 in scholarships during four HBCU classics across the country; the Orange Blossom Classic, FAMU Homecoming, the Bayou Classic, and the inaugural HBCU New York Classic. Wells Fargo was also announced as the official banking partner of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) as well as corporate sponsor of the Mid‑Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), providing the company with the opportunity to support the needs of student‑athletes at all of the conference member schools.
- Wells Fargo offers the HBCU Legends Collection, which allows customers to choose their favorite HBCU image for their debit card. Customers can do this for free via the Wells Fargo Design Studio®. Presently, 27 schools are represented in the collection along with three national organizations (UNCF, TMCF, and the CIAA).
Photo credit: Wells Fargo Harlem. (Photos courtesy of Wells Fargo).
- Mayor Adams Expands Access To Abortion Care: A Bold Step From Harlem To Hollis
- NYC Go Purple Day And Citywide Events to Spread Awareness, Share Resources with Survivors
- Unlocking Success: How Custom Printed Keyrings Boost Brand Awareness for Businesses And Charities
- New York Business And Civic Leaders Unite In Support Of NYC’s Federal Agenda
- Broketober Is Here, The Hottest Video Games For Fall 2023