Consumers will be able to donate gently used coats through Uber Connect, Uber’s same-day local delivery solution.
Uber will then cover the trip (up to $25) to deliver your coat to a participating Salvation Army location in your city, starting on Thursday, January 27 to Saturday, January 29, 2022, from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (local).
All coat donations will be sold at The Salvation Army Thrift Stores, which fund Adult Rehabilitation Centers across the country that offer free programs for building work and social skills, regaining health and stability, combating substance abuse, and restoring families for more than 121,000 people each year.
“We’re deeply grateful and couldn’t think of a more innovative way to get help to those in need than through Uber Connect,” said Commissioner Kenneth G. Hodder, National Commander of The Salvation Army. “Each coat delivery will help individuals facing incredible challenges to recover and rebuild their lives.”
In addition to New York City, the coat drive will be available in 20+ Salvation Army locations in Washington D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, and San Francisco.
Here’s how to donate
- Open the Uber rider app
- Apply the promo code to your Uber Wallet (see promo below)
- Promo Code: (CoatDriveNYC)
- Place your gently used coat in a bag
- Select Package in the Uber app, tap “Send a package”, and enter your location and your nearest Salvation Army location from the list below.
- Tap Choose Connect Package
- On the Review Order screen under the Dropoff section, update the delivery method to “Meet at Door” and add a note for the driver: “For Salvation Army Coat Drive”
- Follow along via the in-app instructions and watch as your coat gets delivered in real-time!
Participating Salvation Army Greater NY Locations (10 AM – 5 PM local):
To learn more about The Salvation Army’s Adult Rehabilitation Centers, please visit www.SATruck.org. The Salvation Army provides helps more than 30 million individuals each year. To get help or give help, visit Salvation Army Greater New York Division.
The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army annually helps more than 30 million Americans overcome poverty, addiction, and economic hardships through a range of social services.
By providing food for the hungry, emergency relief for disaster survivors, rehabilitation for those suffering from drug and alcohol abuse, and clothing and shelter for people in need, The Salvation Army is doing the most good at 7,000 centers of operation around the country.
In 2021, The Salvation Army was ranked No. 2 on the list of “America’s Favorite Charities” by The Chronicle of Philanthropy.
For more information, visit SalvationArmyUSA.org. Follow us on Twitter @SalvationArmyUS and #DoingTheMostGood.
1) Promotion runs from Thursday, 1/27 to Saturday, 1/29 from 10 am to 5 pm [local], while supplies last. Offer valid only for those who receive it from Uber in New York City, Washington DC, Atlanta, Chicago and San Francisco. Offer has no cash value and may not be used for any other product or purpose. 2) Please note that Uber will not receive a receipt on your behalf from The Salvation Army evidencing your donation. Please visit The Salvation Army landing page here to request a donation receipt from the organization.