The 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Center’s 2021-22 Mainstage Series continues on Thursday, October 21, 2021, with An Evening of Hope.
The even will be encompassing several renewed works, along with the New York City premiere of Redefine US, From The INside OUT, created as a commission from Annenberg Center with support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Redefine US, From The INside OUT features music by composer Bill Laurance. Hope Boykin, who was with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater for 20 years, now sees her works performed on the stage where Alvin Ailey premiered Revelations. The Mainstage Series marks the return of a full dance season to 92Y’s historic Kaufmann Concert Hall for the first time in decades.
“When given the opportunity to have An Evening of Hope, I wanted to take a look back at my life as a dance maker and rethink, renew, and revise what today’s Hope may have made,” comments Boykin. “What would the 21st century, retired performer, say differently more than 20 years later? Two of the works explore this idea… No, Don’t (Ne Me Quitte Pas) and Again, Ave (an excerpt from Ave-s). Watching dancers I have known for so long approach movement I created while at their age, all while finding new understanding; discovering I should have given more weight to my voice as a creator, and honored the person I was hoping to become. Performing in New York City again, in a program called An Evening of Hope is really more about me embracing who I am, and what I want to continue to bring to our world of art. Nothing can stop truly stop an artist, but the artist themselves. I have waited, sometimes patiently, for my turn, permission to be given. Who have I been waiting on and why? I can’t wait anymore.”
The Mainstage Series continues.
Yin Yue Dance Company
- In-Person – Thu, Nov 18, 8 pm, $30 general admission / $10 student
- Streams On Demand – Fri, Nov 19, 12 pm – Sun, Nov 21, 12 am, $15
- The Yin Yue Dance Company presents a world premiere alongside the existing repertoire.
Michelle Dorrance, Dormeshia & Guests
- In-Person – Thu, Dec 16, 8 pm, $30 general admission / $10 student
- Streams On Demand – Fri, Dec 17, 12 pm – Sun, Dec 19, 12 am, $15
- Michelle and Dormeshia host an evening of tap dance.
- Harkness Dance Center Artists in Residence
Passion Fruit Dance Company, Baye & ASA
- In-Person – Thu, Feb 24, 8 pm, $30 general admission / $10 student
- Streams On Demand – Fri, Feb 25, 12 pm – Sun, Feb 27, 12 am, $15
- Artists in Residence, Baye & Asa, and Passion Fruit Dance Company present their dynamic choreographic styles in tandem, showcasing celebrated past works.
Caleb Teicher & Conrad Tao
- In-Person – Thu, Mar 3, 8 pm, $30 general admission / $10 student
- Streams On Demand – Fri, Mar 4, 12 pm – Sun, Mar 6, 12 am, $15
- Caleb Teicher and Conrad Tao present the New York City premiere of their collaborative duet Counterpoint.
With Care — Created by Bobbi Jene Smith in collaboration with Keir GoGwilt
Bobbi Jene Smith (dancer), Or Schraiber (dancer), Keir GoGwilt (violinist), and Miranda Cuckson (violinist)
- In-Person – Thu, Apr 28, 8 pm, $30 general admission / $10 student
- Streams On Demand – Fri, Apr 29, 12 pm – Sun, May 1, 12 am, $15
- Join us for the New York City premiere of AMOC’s With Care, created by Bobbi Jene Smith in collaboration with Keir GoGwilt.
Future Dance Festival
- In-Person – Thu, May 26, 8 pm, $30 general admission / $10 student
- Streams On Demand – Fri, May 27 – 12 pm – Sun, May 29 – 12 am, $15
- The Future Dance Festival builds on 92Y’s rich legacy of presenting the work of pioneering dance artists who propel the art form forward.
- In-Person – Thu, Jun 23, 8 pm, $30 general admission / $10 student
- Streams On Demand – Fri, Jun 24, 12 pm – Sun, Jun 26, 12 am, $15
- Jonathan Fredrickson, of Tanztheater Wuppertal, presents an evening-length world premiere created specifically for the Kaufmann Concert Hall space.
92Y Health & Safety Protocol
MASKS MUST BE WORN BY EVERYONE OVER THE AGE OF 2, REGARDLESS OF VACCINATION STATUS.
STARTING MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2021: ADULTS AND CHILDREN AGE 12+ MUST SHOW PROOF OF VACCINATION UPON ARRIVAL AT 92Y.
THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR PART IN HELPING TO KEEP EVERYONE IN OUR COMMUNITY SAFE.
Thursday, October 21, 8 pm ET
$30 General Admission
Friday, October 22, noon ET –
Sunday, October 24, midnight ET
Photo credit: Steve Vaccariello