The first Harlem Hospital, opened at the junction of 120th Street and the East River in 1887. By 1903, construction had begun on a new Harlem Hospital on the east side of Lenox Avenue between 136th and 137th streets in central Harlem. The new facilities resulted from a rapid increase in the area’s population due mainly to a massive influx of black migrants from the South. In 1907 the new Harlem Hospital opened under the jurisdiction of Bellevue and Allied Hospitals, at that time it was the central authority for all municipal hospitals in New York.
Share This Story