The Neo-Gothic Cenacle, St. Regis Convent In West Harlem NY 1893-1920s

The Chapel at Cenacle of St. Regis was a convent established by sisters of the order and benefactor Broadway star Maude Adams that opened in 1893 at Riverside Drive at 628 West 140th Street in West Harlem, NY.

The sisters lived in these neo-Gothic buildings with their main focus, as Harlem historian Michael Adams says was, “offered retreats ‘in the upper room’, to harassed ladies in a bucolic setting.”

Here’s a group of rare photographs of the Chapel at Cenacle of St. Regis in Harlem:


For the best picks, get HWM's must read newsletter!

Even with a garden, the Hudson River and New Jersey as a backdrop, the sisters moved to Mount Kisco in 1956. The order sold their land to Vatican II and left the Archdiocese.

It was replaced between 1962 and 1964, by the twin 24-story River View Towers.

Photo credits: 1) Convent of St. Regis Cenacle Via source. 2) Convent of St. Regis Cenacle Via source. 4-5) Convent of St. Regis Cenacle. 6) Convent of St. Regis Cenacle Via source. 7) Convent of St. Regis Cenacle Via Source. 8) Convent of St. Regis Cenacle via source. By William Wells Bosworth, ca. 1900, Riverside Drive West 139th to 140th Streets. Convent of St. Regis Cenacle.

 

Also:  Fab First Fridays At The Schomburg For "Langston Hughes Birthday Edition" In Harlem

About Harlem World Magazine

Harlem World Magazine is about living your best life and style around the block and around the world of Harlem.

Leave a Reply

Support Harlem World MagazineToday!