The number of coronavirus hospitalizations from Harlem to the Hudson has dropped to 743 on Saturday, the lowest number the state has reported since mid-March.
Saturday’s hospitalizations reflect a 22-person decrease since Friday.
In a statement posted to his website, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the state is continuing to show progress in curbing the virus, despite recent spikes in other parts of the country.
“New Yorkers’ vigilance, courage and adoption of basic behaviors — mask-wearing, hand washing and social distancing — has driven our ability to control the virus,” Cuomo said. “We have to continue on that path to success.”
The state also reported 11 deaths Saturday, bringing the total number of fatalities in the state to 25,035.
Cuomo also confirmed 754 additional cases of coronavirus, bringing the statewide total to 406,305 confirmed cases. Of the new cases, 387 were in New York City.
Amid the drop in hospitalizations, the nation’s former coronavirus epicenter is poised to step into its next phase of reopening. New York City will join the rest of the state when it enters Phase 4 on Monday.
“That hallmark for us,” Cuomo said earlier this week. “Every region of the state will now be in Phase Four — there are no more phases than Phase Four.”
Still, New York City’s Phase 4 will look different than other regions in the state. Indoor dining is still on hold, as are indoor activities for city cultural institutions and mall, Cuomo said.
Despite the state’s rosy outlook, Cuomo has repeatedly sounded warnings about a “second wave” of coronavirus. This one will be a “man-made” surge stemming from government incompetence and areas that didn’t heed lockdown lessons from New York, he said to Patch.
Become a Harlem insider - Sign-Up for our Newsletter!