This past Saturday, November 23, 2019, at the Armory Track in Washington Heights, SOMOS hosted “Mi Salud en Mis Manos,” a music festival and health fair to raise awareness of the importance of inclusive healthcare for the Latinx community. Guests enjoyed musical performances from top reggaeton stars, rising talent, and New York legends including J’Álvarez, Mozart La Para, La Insuperable, and DJ Lobo.
Attendees received free tickets by downloading SOMOS’ new app, MiSOMOS, which features healthy recipes, fitness challenges, and other health and wellness content to encourage users to take their health into their own hands. The festival also featured several booths where community members got connected with their local health providers and received health screenings and information.
“At SOMOS, we are always looking for new and innovative ways to connect culture to healthcare,” said Dr. Ramon Tallaj, Founder and Chairman of SOMOS. “The free music festival and health fair was yet another opportunity for New York’s Latinx community to pay attention to and take control of their health in a way that celebrates their culture and heritage. I am proud to have joined more than one thousand Latinx New Yorkers of all ages, not just to celebrate our diverse culture but to take another step in the journey to improve the health and wellbeing of our community members.”
The MiSOMOS app provides accessible, exciting Spanish-language health resources to users, which helps equip patients and the Latino community-at-large with the tools they need to achieve better health outcomes at home and have fun doing it. Users can find healthy recipes, learn about new healthy restaurants in their neighborhoods, and access original video for exercise ideas and fitness inspiration – all while embracing the language and culture of the Latino community. And soon, patients across the city will be able to use the app to book appointments and get in direct contact with their SOMOS physician.
BUY IT ON Shop HW
The app hosts numerous healthy lifestyle video content featuring:
- ‘SOMOS Fit’ – a collection of videos where a personal trainer demonstrates various workouts and fitness activities for users to try at home
- ‘Dr. Del Barrio’ – a video series where a SOMOS physician takes to the streets and answers questions pertaining to their health from local residents
- ‘NYC Healthy Food Tour’ – a video series devoted to showcasing various healthy food eateries throughout New York City and showing different menu and food options
- ‘SICK!’ – a video series focused on promoting healthy and active lifestyles through comedy sketches
- ‘SOMOS Latinas’ – a series dedicated to profiling different Latina women where they discuss their background, health journey and more.
- ‘Mi Cocina’ – a collection of videos featuring cooking demonstrations for different healthy food recipes
SOMOS is a nonprofit, physician-led network of over 2,000 health providers serving over 700,000 patients in lower-income, immigrant-rich communities.
This free festival is part of SOMOS’s broader effort to provide culturally competent care for underserved populations and transform health care at the community level by raising awareness of the importance of prioritizing preventative health services. https://somoscommunitycare.org
Photo credit: 1-7) Via SOMOS