Shopping for a new outfit can be a very difficult endeavor. Not only can it be tricky to find exactly what you want, but if you happen to find it, you then have to struggle with finding the best size which fits. Luckily, Harlem has plenty of unique clothes stores with a variety of sizes for you to try; but to have more luck with a successful visit, it’s important that you work out your body shape and type before you venture out to find that perfect outfit.
When shopping for the best clothes, which are suited to you, you should ask yourself the following questions:
What is my Body Shape?
Every woman’s body is unique, but most women generally fit into a specific body shape based on the areas of their body which are most prominent and which are most narrow. These body shapes are:
- Hourglass – this means you have a wide bust, a narrow waist and wide hips, usually in equal proportion
- Pear – this means that your hips are the widest part of your body, and your top half is narrower than the bottom.
- Rectangle – this means your body is overall very straight. Your shoulders and hips will be the same width with a narrow waist, meaning a straight-line silhouette.
- Inverted triangle – this means you have a prominent bust and top half, but your body slims down to an undefined waist and narrow (or non-existent) hips
- Apple – this means you have a round body shape, which means a wide shoulder span, around the torso and a wide bust.
There are many body shapes, but these are the most common categories which a woman’s body fits into. When you have worked out which body shape you are, this can make clothes shopping a whole lot easier, as you will be able to shop for the clothes best suited for your shape. Body shapes have no relation to size, as a petite woman and a plus-size woman can both have an hourglass figure, and no clothes types are limited to a certain shape; for example, there will always be a little black dress “LBD” for a petite size 0 and the perfect plus size LBD.
What is My Size?
When it comes to clothes, sizes can be tricky. Many shops differ when it comes to sizes, and what a size 10 might be in one shop can be different to a size 10 in another store. It’s important to measure yourself properly to gain your measurements and compare them in relation to store sizes.
BUY IT ON Shop HW
The best way to measure yourself is as follows:
- Measure the fullest part of your bust, keeping the tape firm against you but not overly tight
- Measure your waist by finding the narrowest part of your midsection; this is usually around two inches up from the belly button
- Measure your hips by wrapping the tape around the fullest part of your hips and rear
- Finally, compare your measurements to a size chart (if you are shopping online, you should use the size chart provided by the company) to find your correct clothes size.