By HWM and photographs by Seitu Oronde
In the heart of Harlem, on December 28th, 2023, the vibrant spirit of Kwanzaa came to life at Bessie’s restaurant on 518 West 145th Street.
The illustrious affair, skillfully documented by Harlem‘s celebrated photojournalist, Seitu Oronde, unfolded as a nostalgic blend of tradition, poetry, and soul-stirring jazz.
As the clock ticked through the third day of Kwanzaa, the historic venue played host to an enchanting convergence of old-fashioned charm and contemporary creativity. Attendees reveled in a spirited round table of poetry, underscored by the rhythmic healing notes of a jazz band that wove its magic through the lively gathering.
Among the luminaries in attendance were acclaimed artists, poets, and the notable percussionist, Bubba Don, whose quartet commanded the stage in a performance that left no room to spare. The venue buzzed with an air of excitement, as the standing-room-only crowd enthusiastically embraced the therapeutic fusion of music and poetry.
Photo credit: Seitu Oronde.
- Books For All: Protect The Freedom To Read In Your Communities From Harlem To Hollis
- Migration And Metropolis: Understanding The US-Mexico Border And NYC
- Delivery Heroes Get A Power-Up: NYC Unveils First Public E-Bike Charging Station
- LinkNYC And Silicon Harlem Celebrate Two Years of Manhattan Gigabit Center
- Rare Carat: Where Is The Best Place To Buy Jewelry