COVID-19 and its ongoing impact on people living paycheck to paycheck or, worse, with no income at all, makes this holiday season bleaker than ever.
Food insecurity can be invisible but it’s rampant among families and individuals throughout New York, which is why The Salvation Army Greater NY Division will be preparing an enormous Thanksgiving feast for an unprecedented number of sit-down and meals-to-go during Thanksgiving week.
The centerpiece will take place on Thanksgiving Day, when The Salvation Army New York Temple Corps, located at 132-136 West 14th, NYC, will host a holiday meal to go from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Prepackaged meals, including turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cranberry sauce, and apple pie will be distributed via “grab & go” style for up to 1,000 guests – which is about double the number of meals provided last year. Care bags containing cold weather and personal care items will also be distributed.
Turkeys are predicted to be in short supply this year, but The Salvation Army is set to distribute approximately 4,430 turkeys, which translates to 53,000 pounds of turkey. The massive holiday effort will reach to dozens of communities beyond New York City.
Since COVID-19 first hit in March of 2020, The Salvation Army GNY Division has provided more than 7.8 million meals to those in need, and it will continue to make sure individuals and families have a hot, nutritious Thanksgiving meal this year.
The following is a list of additional Salvation Army Corps locations throughout the Greater NY area where meals will be distributed and/or served next week and throughout Thanksgiving week:
Select Events in New York City and Boroughs
- Bedford Temple Corps will distribute meals on Wednesday, November 24 from 12-2 p.m.; additional meals will be taken to the Bedford Atlantic Men’s shelter.
- Bronx Citadel Corps is planning a Thanksgiving Food Distribution during the Food Pantry Program on Tuesday, November 16 from 10 a.m. -1 p.m. and on Tuesday, November 23 from 12 – 2 p.m. They will also host a Thanksgiving Meal on Wednesday, November 24 from 1 – 2 p.m.
- Bronx Tremont Corps will hold a food distribution on Friday, November 19 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. A Thanksgiving dinner will be held for the community on Sunday, November 21 at 2:00 p.m.
- Brooklyn Brownsville Corps will hold a food distribution on Saturday, November 20 at 12 p.m. and Tuesday, November 23 at 2 p.m.
- Brooklyn Bushwick Corps will distribute a meal on Tuesday, November 23 from 12:30 – 2 p.m.
- Flushing Corps is serving meals on Monday, November 22 at 12:30 p.m.
- Harlem Temple Corps will hold a Thanksgiving meal distribution on Family Volunteer Day (Saturday, November 20) at 11 a.m. with Disney VoluntEARS and their families.
- Jamaica Citadel Corps will host a food distribution on Tuesday, November 23 at 10 a.m. and a meal on Wednesday, November 24 at 12 p.m.
- Manhattan Citadel will host a Thanksgiving meal on Wednesday, November 24 at 1 p.m.
- Port Richmond Corps will hold a food distribution on Thursday, November 18 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. A grab-and-go Thanksgiving dinner will be held on Wednesday, November 24 from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Ridgewood Citadel Corps will distribute turkeys and groceries on Monday, November 22 at 10 a.m.
- Stapleton Corps will hold a grocery distribution on Thursday, November 18 and a prepared community meal service on Monday, November 22 both from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Sunset Park Corps is holding a meal distribution on Wednesday, November 24 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Freeport Citadel Corps is distributing meals on Tuesday, November 23.
- Hempstead Corps is distributing pantry bags with turkeys.
- Westbury Corps is providing fresh produce and coats.
- East Northport Corps will host a Thanksgiving meal on Friday, November 19 and a basket distribution on Tuesday, November 23.
- Riverhead Corps is distributing meals on Tuesday, November 23 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Poughkeepsie Corps will distribute meals on Wednesday, November 24 from 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Newburgh Corps is providing meals on Tuesday, November 23 at 11 a.m.
- Port Jervis Corps distributes food boxes and turkeys from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. by registration/appointment only and a few slots are still available. Call (845) 856-3214.
- Spring Valley Corps will host a drive-through turkey giveaway on Thursday, November 18 for 400 families in Rockland County.
- Suffern Corps is holding a distribution on Saturday, November 20 from 12 – 1 p.m.
- Kingston Corps is distributing meals on Tuesday, November 23 from 12 – 1:30 p.m.
- Peekskill Corps is hosting a grab & go and a pantry on Wednesday, November 24.
- Port Chester Corps will host a Thanksgiving meal on Tuesday, November 23 from 12 – 4 p.m.
- White Plains Corps will be distributing meals on Monday, November 22 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Yonkers Corps is hosting a meal and distribution on Tuesday, November 23 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
The Salvation Army Greater New York Division
An integral part of the community for 132 years, The Salvation Army Greater New York Division operates more than 100 community and social-service programs, serving more than one million people a year, regardless of race, religion, nationality, or sexual orientation.
Since COVID-19, it has served more than 7.8 million meals. For more information visit salvationarmyny.org.
Photo credit: Salvation Army Greater NY.