Randolph Houses are five-stories, Renaissance Revival style structures on the right side of the street were built in the 1890’s on West 261 West 114th Street as they looked in 1928.
The buildings run along both the north and south sides of West 114th Street, (between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard and Frederick Douglass Boulevard).
The building held 455 apartments housing some 1,042 residents. It was completed April 30, 1977, the 2.07-acre. These buildings were built to attract workers who were willing to commute on the new elevated trains along what was a stretch of Eighth Avenue and is now Frederick Douglass Avenue.
Photo credit: 2)
Harlem Cultural Archives is a donor and foundation-supported Historical Society, Its mission is to create, maintain and grow a remotely accessible, online, interactive repository of audio-visual materials documenting Harlem’s remarkable and varied multicultural legacies, including its storied past as well as its continuing contributions to the City and State of New York, the nation, and the world. Support Harlem Cultural Archives and click here to get more Harlem History, Thank you.