As you know, NYC children born in 2012 are eligible to attend free, full-day, high-quality pre-Kindergarten in the fall. Families still have time to apply for free, full-day, high-quality pre-K. The extended application deadline until Wednesday, March 9th, 2016.
The NYC Department of Education exciting new Pre-K Centers—an early childhood education model unveiled for this school year. Citywide, they currently have 15 Pre-K Centers with over 60 sites spanning all five boroughs. All Pre-K Centers are operated by the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) with the sole focus of providing pre-K instruction. These programs are taught and led by certified NYCDOE early childhood teachers and specialists.
In Manhattan, they have a Pre-K Center in District 2 with 7 sites (none in Harlem right now). For each district, an Early Childhood Director oversees all sites. Each Early Childhood Director reports directly to the District Superintendent, and oversees a team of educators who ensure children are receiving a high-quality start to their education.
Each Pre-K Center is distinct, reflecting the community it serves, and promoting a high-quality early start for our city’s youngest learners.
Aneesha Jacko is the Early Childhood Director for the District 2 Pre-K Center. She has served for over 16 years as an Early Childhood educator with the NYCDOE and has served families in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens. She strives to foster a love of learning at her District 2 Pre-K Center. She aims to accomplish this through the creation of meaningful opportunities for children to investigate and construct their knowledge of themselves and the world around them. Aneesha and her staff believe that students thrive in a joyful, safe and developmentally appropriate learning environment connected to families as partners. This culture of learning ensures students are prepared for the elementary school by the end of the year.
Manhattan Pre-K Centers:
District 2 Pre-K Centers that families can apply to:
- District 2 Pre-K Center at 2-26 Washington Street (Battery Park City-Lower Manhattan)
- District 2 Pre-K Center at 52 Chambers Street (SoHo-TriBeCa-Civic Center-Little Italy)
- District 2 Pre-K Center at 2 Lafayette Street (TriBeCa-Civic Center-Little Italy)
- District 2 Pre-K Center at 1 Peck Slip (Battery Park City-Lower Manhattan)
- District 2 Pre-K Center at 425 East 35Th Street (Turtle Bay-East Midtown)
- District 2 Pre-K Center at 525 West 44 Street (Clinton)
- District 2 Pre-K Center at 590 Sixth Avenue (Hudson Yards-Chelsea-Flatiron-Union Square)
Families must apply by March 9th, 2016.
- Find the application here
- Call 311
- Visit a Family Welcome Center
- Speak with an Enrollment Specialist (212-637-8000)
For more information about Pre-K Centers, please visit the NYCDOE website: http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnrollment/PreK/default.htm.
Photos Courtesy of NYC Department of Education.