Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation’s (NMIC) Train & Earn program is a 5-week paid certification and training program for opportunity youth ages 16-24 who are out of school and not working at the time of enrollment. Candidates receive a stipend of $500 once they complete certifications, program benchmarks and trainings. There are also opportunities to earn incentives, and candidates will receive metrocards while enrolled in programming.
Now Recruiting For September 10 Cohort
What do Train & Earn candidates receive?
Candidates earn the following certificates and training:
- ServSafe Certificate
- National Retail Federation’s Customer Service Certificate
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certificate (minimum reading score required)
- Opportunity to receive NYC Food Protection Certificate
- Potential for 100 hours of paid internship experience
- Employment readiness training
- Academic tutoring and services (basic skills training)
- One full year of education/career counseling and services
How do applicants qualify?
- Must be 16-24 years old (any applicant under 18 must have guardian consent)
- Reside in the 5 boroughs
- Cannot have a job or be enrolled in school at the time of application
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States
- Meet required TABE (literacy and numeracy) scores
- Show an interest in employment readiness and certifications
- Other eligibility criteria may apply
How to applicants apply?
Interested applicants must bring:
- Birth certificate
- Social Security Card
- Valid state ID
- Proof of address
- Ms. Emma Valencia: 212-453-5378
- Ms. Dale Reyes: 212-822-8325
- TDD/TTY: 1-800-662-1220
NMIC’s Education & Career Services Department is located at:
45 Wadsworth Ave., Second Floor, New York, NY 10033
A train to 175th St. or 1 train to 181st St.
NMIC is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Photo credit: From Harlem Biospace internship program.