The National Weather Service has issued a Tornado Watch from Harlem To Hollis, Queens until 10:00 PM today. A Tornado Watch indicates that conditions are favorable for a tornado to form. A tornado has not yet developed or been reported.
A Tornado Watch means conditions are favorable for a tornado to occur in and close to the watch area. Persons within these areas should be on the lookout for threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements and possible warnings.
Here are a few Tornado Watch tips:
- Exercise caution when walking, driving, or biking.
- Tornadoes can cause flying debris, turn unsecured objects into projectiles, and cause power outages.
- To prepare, charge cell phone batteries, gather supplies, and turn refrigerators and freezers to a colder setting.
- Always stay clear of downed power lines.
- If you are affected by an outage, turn off all appliances and keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed to prevent food spoilage.
- Do not use generators indoors.
- If you lose power and have a disability or access needs, or use Life Sustaining Equipment (LSE) and need immediate assistance, please dial 9-1-1.
Become a Harlem insider - Sign-Up for our Weekly Newsletter!
For the latest weather information visit www.weather.gov/nyc.