The National Association of Real Estate Brokers (NAREB), National Collaborative Conversation on Black Homeownership will take place on Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 12 pm, ET at the National Press Club, 529 – 14th Street, NW, Fourth Estate Room, Washington, DC. 20045, http://www.nareb.com/.
This occasion is a deliberate and concerted response to the Cease & Desist order issued by N.A.R.E.B.’s newly elected President, Donnell Williams, to combat, attack, dismantle and transform a critically important national conversation topic: the current desperate state of Black homeownership in the United States. Sadly, the current national homeownership rate for Blacks is currently at 40.6%. In comparison, the Non-Hispanic White homeownership rate for the same time period (as of 2nd quarter 2019) is 73.1%. As a result of these sobering stats, President Williams, The Commander in Chief of Black Homeownership, has declared war on the decline of Black homeownership in America starting immediately! This, sure to be historic, event is a prelude to the unveiling of N.A.R.E.B.’s 2019 edition of the State of Housing in Black America (SHIBA) report at the 49th gathering of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Annual Legislative Conference 2019 (CBCF ALC 2019). An executive summary of The SHIBA Report will be made available at this event.
Expert Conversationalists include the N.A.R.E.B. leadership team, elected officials, social and civic influencers, and thought leaders from across this country:
- Donnell Williams, President, N.A.R.E.B.
- Michele Calloway, Board Chair, N.A.R.E.B.
- Antoine M. Thompson, National Executive Director, N.A.R.E.B.
- Michael Eric Dyson, Professor of Sociology, Georgetown University
- Ben Chavis, President & CEO, National Newspaper Publishers’ Association
- Kim Saunders, President & CEO, National Bankers Association (NBA)
- Lisa Rice, President & CEO, National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA)
- Lisa Mensah, President & CEO, Opportunity Finance Network
- Joseph W. Walker, Presiding Bishop, Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship Intl
- Robert E. Finn, Director of Policy and Research, Center for Community Progress
- Mark Whitlock, D. Min., Senior Pastor, Reid Temple African American Methodist Church
- James Winston, President, National Association of Black Owned Broadcasters
- James L. Davis, Presiding Bishop, 2nd Episcopal District, African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Tristen Breaux, Director of Policy, National Housing Conference
- Charles Steele, Jr., President & CEO, Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
National Association of Real Estate Brokers (N.A.R.E.B.) is the oldest minority professional real estate trade association in the nation. Under its banner of “Democracy in Housing”. N.A.R.E.B.’s focus and overarching program is 2MN5, an acronym for 2 Million New Black Homeowners in 5 Years.
Support Harlem World MagazineToday!
The National Association of Real Estate Brokers (NAREB) was formed in 1947 out of a need to secure the right to equal housing opportunities, regardless of race, creed, or color. Since its inception, NAREB has initiated and promoted meaningful challenges and supported legislative initiatives to ensure fair housing for all Americans. www.nareb.com.