Throughout June, the Mayor’s Public Engagement Unit will hold free events from Harlem to Hollis to provide New Yorkers with individualized and in-person assistance.
SHOP, THE NEW HARLEM WORLD SHOP!
The assistance is related to tenants’ rights, affordable housing, homelessness prevention and reduction, healthcare, and civic engagement.
Visit nyc.gov/events for updates and more details on events.
The Tenant Support Unit (TSU) engages and provides assistance to New Yorkers who may be at risk of displacement or experiencing harassment in zip codes covered under the Human Resources Administration’s Anti-Harassment Tenant Protection program. Outreach specialists also connect eligible tenants in housing court to free legal services under the Universal Access to Counsel program. In addition, TSU proactively engages New Yorkers who may be eligible for the Department of Finance’s Rent Freeze programs and assists them with their application. Outreach specialists partner with elected officials and community groups to hold weekly office hours and attend local events. Learn more at the following websites: Tenant Support, Universal Access to Counsel and Rent Freeze.
The Home Support Unit (HSU) partners with landlords and brokers to identify apartments for New Yorkers transitioning out of shelter. HSU partners closely with the Human Resources Administration, the Department of Homeless Services and community-based providers to match prospective tenants to apartments, coordinate viewings and help landlords and brokers navigate the City’s leasing process. Specialists remain engaged with the landlord even after lease signing to ensure new tenants are supported and have access to resources that help them remain stably housed. Learn more at nyc.gov/HomeSupportUnit.
GetCoveredNYC is a year-round city-wide initiative to enroll New Yorkers in health insurance and provide them with access to primary and preventive care at NYC Health and Hospitals. The initiative is a partnership between NYC Health and Hospitals, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Human Resources Administration and MetroPlus, and includes a robust team of outreach specialists who contact uninsured New Yorkers to discuss their health insurance options, schedule them for free in-person enrollment appointments, and case manage them through the enrollment process. In addition, the initiative runs a city-wide public information campaign to promote the importance of health insurance and how New Yorkers can receive free in-person enrollment assistance by calling 311, texting ‘CoveredNYC’ (‘SeguroNYC’ en Español) to 877877, or visiting nyc.gov/GetCoveredNYC.
TAKE A HARLEM GOSPEL & JAZZ TOUR
Here are the program dates in Harlem:
- NYC Multicultural Festival, St. Nicholas Avenue & West 141st Street, New York, NY 10031, 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM, (GetCoveredNYC)
June 6, 13, 20 & 27
- New York Public Library – Hamilton Grange Branch, 503 West 145th Street, New York, NY 10031, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (GetCoveredNYC)
June 6, 13, 20 & 27
- New York Public Library – George Bruce Branch, 518 West 125th Street, New York, NY 10027, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, (GetCoveredNYC)
June 7, 14, 21 & 28
- Office of Councilmember Rodriguez. 618 West 177th Street, New York, NY 10033, 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM, (Tenant Support Unit)
June 8, 15, 22 & 29
- New York Public Library – Inwood Branch, 4790 Broadway, New York, NY 10034, 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM, (Tenant Support Unit)
- NYC Multicultural Festival. Jackie Robinson Park, 85 Bradhurst Avenue, New York, NY 10039, 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM, (GetCoveredNYC)
- Rent Freeze Enrollment Event with the Office of Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright, 1485 York Avenue, New York, NY 10075, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, (Rent Freeze)
June 14 & 28
- Children’s Aid Society, 14-32 West 118th Street, New York, NY 10026, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, (GetCoveredNYC)
June 14 & 28
- Inwood Community Services, 651 Academy Street, New York, NY 10034, 3:30 PM – 6:30 PM, (Tenant Support Unit)
- Juneteenth, West 116th Street & Lenox Avenue, New York, NY 10026, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, (GetCoveredNYC)
- Health Fair, East 131st Street & Park Avenue, New York, NY 10037, 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM, (GetCoveredNYC)
- Senior Resource Fair, Baruch College, 55 Lexington Avenue – Room 1-107, New York, NY 10010, 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM, (GetCoveredNYC)
- East Harlem Small Business Resource Fair, 158 East 115th Street, New York, NY 10029, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, (GetCoveredNYC)
For more information on these programs and services around New York City, New Yorkers can call 311 or visit nyc.gov.