New York City Mayor Eric Adams and OLR Commissioner Renee Campion today hailed District Council (DC) 37 for voting to ratify its contract with the city last night.
Passing with 97 percent of all members voting in favor. The five-plus year contract is the first reached under the Adams administration and will cover roughly one-quarter of the city’s total unionized workforce, providing annual raises of 3 percent in the first four years and 3.25 percent in the fifth year, as well as a one-time bonus of $3,000 immediately to eligible members.
“This agreement will put thousands of dollars into the pockets of the men and women of DC 37, who work tirelessly each and every day to keep our city running. And it is a victory for people like my late mother, Dorothy Adams, herself a former member of this union, who raised six children on her own thanks to the good pay and decent benefits she got from DC 37,” said Mayor Adams. “I am a blue-collar mayor who will always stand with the working people of this city — fighting for fairer wages, better benefits, and a better quality of life — and this contract not only provides our blue-collar workers a great deal, but it is also fair to our city’s taxpayers. It would not have been possible without the dogged efforts of OLR Commissioner Renee Campion, the steadfast partnership of Henry Garrido, and the dedication of the great members of DC 37.”
“Congratulations to DC 37 on the ratification of this contract, which will provide good raises, a ratification bonus, and other important benefits that will address the most pressing needs members are facing,” said OLR Commissioner Campion. “The overwhelming vote in favor is a testament to this administration’s strong partnership with our labor unions and a reminder that our city is stronger when labor and management work together to uplift our city and its employees.”
DC 37 members will receive the following compounded and retroactive wage increases, representing a 16.21-percent increase across the life of the contract:
- May 26, 2021: 3.00 percent
- May 26, 2022: 3.00 percent
- May 26, 2023: 3.00 percent
- May 26, 2024: 3.00 percent
- May 26, 2025: 3.25 percent
The contract ratified last night also includes:
- Ratification Bonus: Upon contract ratification by DC 37 membership, eligible members will receive a one-time bonus of $3,000.
- Flexible Work Committee: The city and DC 37 will establish a committee to discuss options to provide greater flexibility to employees and to enhance employee morale, including remote work, compressed and flexible work schedules, and improved transit benefits. The parties’ goal is to begin a pilot program that includes remote work no later than June 1, 2023.
- Child Care Trust Fund: DC 37 will establish a child care trust fund to provide support for its members with child care needs. The city will contribute $3 million per year to the fund as part of this agreement.
- Equity Fund: The parties have set aside $70 million to make salary adjustments to help fill hard-to-recruit positions and will work collaboratively to address those issues. The fund will be administered by a committee including city and DC 37 representatives.
- Pandemic Response Committee: The city and DC 37 will establish a joint committee to discuss issues related to pandemic response, to best prepare the city and its workers for the next pandemic.