After some years of occupation, the rooms in a house can start to look dull and lifeless with jaded decor and uninspiring interior design. At this point, most homeowners or renters usually decide to redecorate a few rooms if not all of their homes following a well-thought-out step-by-step plan.
When creating an interior decoration plan for a home, it is advised to follow these steps:
- Research decor ideas and write a list of priorities based on function, style and design preferences
- Decide on a realistic budget
- Create a mood board and floor plan
- Source samples and estimate costs of individual items
- Find the equipment, materials and supplies required
- Start decorating
Become a Harlem insider - Sign-Up for our Weekly Newsletter!
Ensuring you have a good plan will help you to avoid making costly mistakes and creating a look you don’t like. Additionally, successfully decorating a house will create a calm, functional and relaxing living space. Furthermore, refreshing a home’s interior regularly results in an increased property value.
Before starting any decoration project it is always a good idea to do some research on popular interior design ideas, which you can read more about next.
Make a Home Art and Photo Gallery
Creating a home art and photo gallery or museum is a great way to carefully display favorite pieces of art and pictures of cherished family and memorable experiences. Lots of framing and printing is involved in building a home gallery, although many tutorials are providing useful tips such as how to attach art to a mount so it can be optimally displayed inside a frame. Many frames are required to protect the art and photos from dust and to present them nicely.
If there is lots of empty wall space in a room then hanging art originals or prints can add color, texture and points of interest for guests. The style of art is dependent on people’s tastes, however, when it comes to costs, art originals are sometimes valued very highly, whilst art prints can be bought for less than thirty dollars.
Clean and Declutter
A house with cluttered and messy rooms will make decorating more difficult and less safe due to the many obstacles that can quickly become hazards. Therefore, homeowners should order a skip bin and have a good house clearance first to make sure all their old and unnecessary items are thrown out. Doing so will also help to give a better visual reference when decorating so it is easy to judge where to place art, furniture, shelving and decorative items.
As long as they get enough sunlight and water, plants can improve the atmosphere in any room by making the air fresher and creating a more welcoming vibe. Here are some tricks people commonly use to incorporate plants into their interior design:
- Place plants around seating areas
- Use small to medium-sized plants as table centerpieces
- Make focal points by grouping plants close together in one area, this provides the feeling of being in nature
- Hang small containers and pots on interior walls for plants such as cacti and succulents to grown in
- Fill otherwise awkward and unusable spaces with plants
- Put hanging plants on higher shelves
Plants are a great way of adding color and texture to a room, and usually, most house plants require little maintenance.
Repaint the Walls
Giving the rooms in a home a new lick of paint is probably the most effective way of changing the mood and look of a house. To make a room feel happier and warmer, people choose to paint blocks of warm colors such as shades of orange, red and yellow whilst using beiges and whites a room can be made to feel more spacious.
For people who are feeling more creative, there are several other ways to decorate the walls of a home, these include:
- Stencilling patterns
- Harlequin patterns
- Metallic shades of paint
- Polka dots
- Color washing
- Rag strolling
Change or Reorganize the Furniture
The color, style and layout of furniture in a home plays a big part in its overall look and feel so when decorating it is a good idea to carefully plan which new furniture would suit the design theme and how it should be arranged. Some tips to follow when organizing furniture are:
- Deciding on a focal point in a room to place furniture around, this could be a fireplace, entertainment system or window
- Keep furniture away from walls to give pieces some breathing space which can make the room feel more spacious
- Make spaces for people to have conversations by positioning chairs and sofas so they are facing each other
- Aim for a balanced look; avoid grouping furniture of the same size together too much in one area
- Think about the flow of people, there should be plenty of space to move around without having to worry about trip hazards
- Large coffee tables act as great anchors for a living room and can be used to display plants and decorative items
- Place tables within an arm’s length of seating so it is convenient to relax
Place Some Rugs
Rugs can make a room look more colorful and interesting by helping to tie the different aspects of a room together including the wall decor and furniture. Rugs are often placed under furniture such as coffee tables and the corners of chairs and sofas to visually anchor them and define the style of an interior.
Upgrade the Lighting
The impact of lighting on the atmosphere in a room is easy to notice as rooms with poor lighting often feel boring and drab, furthermore, it can be difficult to carry out tasks such as reading or working at a desk in a room with evenly distributed light.
Lighting in a home can be improved by designing a lighting plan that consists of a combination of the three types of lighting:
- Ambient lighting; provided by ceiling lighting which can be controlled by a main dimmer switch
- Accent lighting; used to highlight specific areas or focal points in a room such as artwork
- Task lighting; required to spotlight an area where practical tasks are carried out, for example, a kitchen counter or desk
The interior of homes requires renewal every few years which can be achieved through decorating, however, this can be challenging and mistakes can easily be made so it’s important to read up on decorating ideas to avoid any extra stress.