Partnering with a coalition of 13 organizations, agencies and institutions, Oyate Group ensured that New Yorkers who are historically marginalized by food deserts had access to a fresh and bountiful Thanksgiving dinner.
According to research from Personal Capital last year, one in four Americans contemplated skipping Thanksgiving to save money amidst skyrocketing inflation.
“We are incredibly grateful to our partners, friends and local leaders for helping us organize our largest Thanksgiving turkey drive to date,” said Tomas Ramos, CEO and founder of Oyate Group. “Our goal is to provide respite to families that lack adequate access to affordable and fresh food by mobilizing our community to take action against food insecurity. If one person starves, the whole village starves. We want to make sure no family is left behind this Thanksgiving season.”
Oyate Group made a significant impact once more on thousands of families, building on the success of three turkey drive initiatives since November 2020 which have distributed over 3,800 turkeys. For its fourth annual turkey drive, the organization procured 2,000 turkeys with its own resources from Hunts Point Cooperative Market.
Operating from its headquarters in Mott Haven, Oyate Group relies on its robust network of partners to meet the diverse needs of thousands of New Yorkers.
This year, the organization is proud to collaborate with the following trusted, local community organizations and leaders in the distribution of its 2,000 turkeys:
- 11/17/23: Literacy Inc. at 2400 Marion Avenue, Bronx, NY 10458
- 11/17/23: High School for Media and Communications at 549 Audubon Avenue, 1st Floor New York, NY 10040
- 11/19/23: The Holmes Experience Inc. in front of PS 18x, across from Lincoln Hospital in The Bronx
- 11/20/23: Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health & Science Charter School at 800 Home Street Bronx
- 11/20/23: East Harlem Council for Human Services/Boriken Neighborhood Health Center at 2265 3rd Ave, NY, NY 10035
- 11/20/23: State Senator Robert Jackson at Morris Heights near 179th Street and Burnside
- 11/21/23: Latino Social Work Coalition at 1901 1st Ave., New York, NY 10029
- 11/21/23: Hands On New York, Inc at 3524 3rd Ave., Bronx, NY
- 11/21/23: Fordham/Belmont Fall Festival at 573 East Fordham Rd, Bronx NY 10458 – located at Hoffman Street between Fordham Rd and 191st
- 1/21/23: Children’s Arts & Science Metropolitan Soundview Beacon at 1300 Boynton Avenue Bronx, NY 10472
- 11/22/23: KIPP NYC at 1504 Macombs Rd Bronx, NY
- 11/22/23: Highbridge Fall Festival at 1430 Plimpton Ave, Bronx, NY 10452 – corner of Edward L. Grant Highway and Plimpton Ave
- 11/22/23: Remysell Salas Event at PS 89- 2462 Williambridge RD, Bronx, NY
Beyond its steadfast commitment to combating food insecurity, Oyate Group is most notably known for vaccinating over 40,000 people from The Bronx deemed “unreachable” by the city during the COVID-19 pandemic through the Bronx Rising Initiative. Recently, Oyate Group expanded Beyond Rising, a paid internship program for undocumented students, to take place year-round and launched Community Capital, a pilot initiative to support local entrepreneurs and small businesses with investments of up to $50,000.
Oyate Group is further empowering youth by introducing Rise Leadership, a leadership program for rising high school sophomores and juniors looking to become creators, critical thinkers, community leaders and social change makers. Applications for Rise Leadership are open here.
As the year comes to a close, Oyate Group aims to remain a beacon of hope for the city by inviting the community to join hands this Thanksgiving season and grab a free turkey during the uplifting turkey drives hosted by its partner organizations.
Oyate Group is a nonprofit organization with the mission to alleviate poverty by creating sustainable and holistic solutions that empower underserved communities all across New York City. Oyate Groups works to create access to healthcare, alleviate hunger, invest in the growth of small businesses, and inspire youth to better themselves and their city.
For more information, visit OyateGroup.org
Photo credit: 1-2) The TASC Group.
- Feel So Good, Cam’ron And Ma$e, Turn Feud Into (More) Fame
- State Senator Cordell Cleare’s New ‘New Yorkers,’ Migrant Resource Fair In Harlem
- Mayor Adams And NYC Health + Hospitals Unveil Free Tax Prep Services For New Yorkers
- Ultimate Guide To Business Opportunities For Foreigners In Cyprus
- Optimizing Website Performance: Strategies And Best Practices Recommended