On Tuesday, June 28th, 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission took another step towards clearing its formerly 95-item backlog of sites calendared pre-2010. The commission designated two properties in Harlem (in all there were seven properties in two boroughs – Staten Island and Manhattan).
Become a Harlem insider - Sign-Up for our Weekly Newsletter!
Moving north, there is St. Joseph of the Holy Family Roman Catholic Church at 401-403 West 125th Street. The church was initially built around 1860, but the Herter Brothers designed an addition constructed between 1889 and 1890. It initially served a German congregation but not serves mostly African-Americans and Latinos.
Commissioner Michael Goldblum expressed some concern over the narrow boundary of the designation site, a concern echoed by Commissioner Michael Devonshire, who was worried about a nine-story apartment building going up next door.
The site had been on the calendar since 1966.
The final backlog designation of the day was St. Paul Roman Catholic Church at 121 East 117th Street. It was designed by Neville & Bagge and built between 1907 and 1908. LPC Chair Meenakshi Srinivasan called in “classic.” The site had been on the calendar since 1966.
All of those designations were approved unanimously by the commissioners present. With those seven, and the eight designated on April 12, the commission now has 14 remaining properties from the list of items prioritized on February 23.
There was also a non-backlog designation.
Photo credit: 1) St. Joseph’s Church. LPC photo. 2) St. Paul’s Church. LPC photo.
Via New York Yimby