A statue stands in the center with American flags waving on each side a top of the Our Lady of Lourdes School at 468 West 143rd Street in Harlem, NY, in 1914.
The photograph was taken two years before the school opened its’ doors in 1912. The fire hydrant stand to the left stands in front of a Schillingers Warehouse horse drawn carriage, on a rainy, overcast day, as kids look on at the photographer in the center of the frame. The brownstones is closed with the windows and door covered with wood to the far right and peep holes.
The famed Shamrock Bar was two blocks away south on the corner of 140th Street and Amsterdam Avenue.
Stick ball was played throughout the neighborhood in later years.
George Grantham Bain Collection (source).