With direct oversight by the Director-Programs and Program Manager. Instructors are responsible for planning and implementing a 6-week program that reflects their proposed class outline. The Visual Arts Instructor will be responsible for teaching a grade appropriate class that inspires student’s creative processes and self-expression through learning the skills, genres and fundamentals of Art. You will be expected to work in cooperation with other instructors and staff.
The Visual Arts Instructor will be responsible for the following:
- Provide a class outline to the Director-Programs and Program Manager
- Create an environment where hands-on learning through creativity in art is encouraged
- Interact with students in a positive, nurturing and enriching manner
- Inspire creative thinking through art examples and technique demonstration
- Provide students with feedback throughout lessons
- Create a fun and inclusive atmosphere Ensure the studio is as clean as you found it at the end of each class, enlisting students in the cleanup process
- Communicate any concerns or issues about anything directly to the Program Manager and/or Director Programs
- Work towards preparing a demonstration of student work at an end of program celebration.
Education and Credentials: Bachelor’s degree, At least two years of experience teaching in an urban high school setting, New York State certified 7-12, New York State Fingerprint clearance.
Job Title Name: Visual Arts Instructor
Pay Rate: $30 per hour, 12 hours/week
Employment Class: Temporary, Part-Time
Program Duration: July 9 – Aug. 17, 2018 (6 weeks)
Work Days: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
Customary Hours: Monday 1:30pm – 3:00pm (2 hours teaching time / 2 hours planning/prep time) (Freshman & Soph. Level) Tuesday 1:30pm – 3:00pm (2 hours teaching time / 2 hours planning/prep time) (Freshman & Soph. Level) Thursday 1:30pm – 3:00pm (2 hours teaching time / 2 hours planning/prep time) (Junior & Senior Level) Student Class Size: 15 – 25 students
All materials + necessary teaching supplies will be provided.
For the best picks, get HWM's must read newsletter!
You must live in the confines of Community Board 9.
Photo credit: Art In Flux artwork.