The United War Veterans Council (UWVC) — organizers of the New York City Veterans Day Parade — calls on metropolitan area residents to remember this Memorial Day those who have sacrificed for us by participating at one of many events taking place Monday, May 29, 2017.
The UWVC is working with community groups throughout the metropolitan area to help organize and promote memorials, parades and other Memorial Day-related events, including:
- Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument Memorial Day Ceremony, Monday, May 29. Begins 10:00 a.m., the annual Memorial Day Commemoration Ceremony will take place at Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument at Riverside Park & W. 82nd St., Manhattan. This year’s event will commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway. Event is free and open to the public.
- 150th Kings County Memorial Day Parade, Monday, May 29. UWVC participates in one of the oldest Memorial Day parades in the nation, which begins 11:00 a.m. at 78th St. & 3rd Ave. in Brooklyn, followed by a memorial service and wreath-laying ceremony at John Paul Jones Park.
- Black Veterans for Social Justice (BVSJ) Memorial Day Parade, Monday, May 29. Parade’s participants begin arriving at 10:00 am at Restoration Plaza on Fulton St., Brooklyn. Parade will process up Marcy Ave. at 12:00 pm, turning onto Willoughby Ave. to end at BVSJ headquarters at 665 Willoughby Ave. (bet. Throop & Marcus Garvey Blvd.).
- Little Neck-Douglaston Memorial Day Parade, Monday, May 29. Participants are to gather at 1:00 pm and the parade kicks off at 2:00 p.m. at Jayson Ave. /Northern Blvd. in Queens. Prior to the parade at 10:00 am, there will be an interfaith service at St. Anastasia Church at 45-14 245th St. Immediately after the service, a wreath-laying ceremony will take place near the monument in the Divine Wisdom Catholic Academy schoolyard. At 11:30 am there will a Veterans breakfast located at Father Smith Hall in the Divine Wisdom Catholic Academy schoolyard. The closing ceremony will take place at St. Anastasia Church’s outdoor parking lot from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.
- City Island Memorial Day Parade, Monday, May 29. Parade begins 1:45 p.m. at City Island Ave. & Belden St. Prior to the parade, UWVC will participate in two wreath-laying ceremonies in the area: the first, 10:30 a.m. at Bicentennial Veteran Memorial Park (Throgs Neck Expressway at Pennyfield and Elisworth Aves.); and the second, 11:15 a.m. at Throgs Neck Memorial Post – American Legion (1456 Shore Dr.).
The United War Veterans Council is a 501(c)(19) organization dedicated to honoring, supporting and serving America’s veterans.
Become a Harlem insider - Sign-Up for our Newsletter!