Join moderator Harlem Columbia University graduate Helen Reeves, Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz, with Rebecca Garcia, CoderDojo NYC, Adam Creeger, Greenhouse Software, Kelly Bailey, Microsoft and Lorraine Buhannic, AppNexus as they discuss the shortage of women in tech, diversity and that there is not enough qualified female applicants from Harlem to Harare.
So What Can Women Do about It?
The answer is to educate yourselves and use that knowledge to bring about smart opportunities that will not only improve your own livelihood, but the broader tech community from Harlem to Hollis. Join the New York Technology Council and ChickTech for a fun, candid discussion about talent recruitment and career development for female engineers and developers. Their panel of speakers will answer the following questions:
Recruiting & interviewing
- What do companies really look for when hiring engineers?
- How should you “read” job descriptions to determine if the role is right for you?
- What can you expect in a technical interview?
- What questions should you ask to assess a company’s work/life balance?
- Is it okay to ask about maternal/paternal leave policies during an interview?
- If you’re pregnant, should you mention it during the interview?
- How do you determine cultural fit within the engineering team and overall company?
- How should you evaluate compensation packages?
- Should you trade salary for equity?
- What are stock options and vesting schedules?
- What skills are mandatory to be a successful engineer or developer?
- If your coding skills are not up to par, what resources are available to level-up?
- What job opportunities are available if you love tech, but not coding?
Who Should Attend? This session is geared towards women who work in tech and/or startups, but all genders are welcomed. You’ll gain valuable insights into the recruiting process at four major technology companies and meet others who share your passion for career development and technology.
100% Of Ticket Sales will support ChickTech:High School, a program created to show high school girls that engineering can be fun and exciting! We’ve created a comprehensive year-long program introducing 100 girls to technology, the fun things you can create with it, and related careers.
Fee: $10.00 for NYTECH members and sponsors. $10.00 for non-members.
Monday October 19, 2015, 6:30 PM
Get more information here