NY Yimby reports that full demolition permits have been filed for the three-story building at 45 East 126th Street, along with adjacent lots 1975 and 1981 Madison Avenue in Harlem. Owned by Metropolitan Community United Methodist Church, the three buildings were built at separate times, but some of the construction dates back to 1905 according to NYC Planning records. The Metropolitan Community United Methodist Church was founded in 1942 yet the edifice it currently occupies was built from 1869-71, for St. James Methodist Episcopal Church of Harlem. The Neo-Gothic building features a noble bell tower and vaulted interior.
It is unclear what plans are in store for the 16,486 square foot lot as no permits have been filed. Santiago Helman of H & O Engineering DPC is listed as the applicant of record, and the Church is behind the demolition.
Nearby transit access includes the MetroNorth train station at 125th Street and Park Avenue as well as the 125 Street subway station on Lexington Avenue, serviced by the 4, 5, and 6 trains.
Photo credit: Google Maps.