The Women in Entertainment Empowerment Network (WEEN) will present the Sixth Annual WEEN Awards on Wednesday, November 16, 2016, and honor individuals who have raised global awareness for empowering women within their respective industries. The annual awards, coined as an evening of ‘glamour, philanthropy and social justice,’ will take place at ESPACE, located at 635 West 42nd Street in New York City at 5:30 p.m. The theme of this year’s awards is #InSolidarity, and will pay homage to community, racial and social justice leaders in their plight to eradicate injustice, violence and disparities in Black and Latino communities.
The Sixth Annual WEEN Awards will celebrate the outstanding achievements of women in various roles in the entertainment and philanthropic communities. This year’s honorees include:
- Meagan Good (Actress) – Women’s Empowerment Award
- Ethiopia Habtemariam (President of Motown Records) – Music Maverick Award
- Lil’ Kim (Entertainer) – WEEN Icon Award
- Geneva Reed-Veal (Mother of Sandra Bland) – Social Justice Award
- Yara Shahidi (Actress) – TV & Film Empowerment Award
- Dia Simms (President of Sean Combs Wines & Spirits) – Corporate Leadership Award
- Teyana Taylor (Actress and Singer) – Mission Award
- Elaine Welteroth (Editor, Teen Vogue) – Editorial Excellence Award
Past esteemed honorees and participants have included: Vivica A. Fox, Gayle King, Soledad O’Brien, Angie Martinez, Kevin Liles, Nia Long, Estelle, Egypt Sherrod, Va$htie, Angela Yee, Sevyn Streeter, MC Lyte, Keri Hilson and Regina Hall, among others.
“For nearly a decade, WEEN has served as a conduit for change, providing education, mentorship and empowerment for young women across the nation. The Sixth Annual WEEN Awards will underscore our commitment to women and girls with a focus on social justice,” states WEEN Co-Founder and CEO, Valeisha Butterfield Jones.
#WEENAwards16 will be presented by sponsors CENTRIC, YouTube Music, Odyssey Media, CBS Entertainment Diversity, Planned Parenthood Federation of America and The TEKNIQUE Group, as well as supporting sponsors McDonald’s, CIROC, JetBlue Airways and Strategic Heights Media.
Tickets can be purchased via www.weenonline.org. All donations are tax-deductible and proceeds from the WEEN Awards will support the expansion of the organization’s flagship program, The WEEN Academy; a six-week entertainment industry boot camp for young women ages 18-22.