Despite New York’s reputation as a progressive city, on the local political level at least, the future looks far from female. By the end of 2017, the New York City Council’s 51-member body could have fewer than 10 female representatives, a sharp drop from 18 women in 2009. So what will it take to reverse this trend and achieve gender parity in politics? A distinguished panel of veteran and current New York politicians will discuss their visions and strategies for getting — and keeping — women in public office, both locally, regionally, and nationally.
Reception and exhibition viewing to follow.
- Carol Bellamy, former New York State Senator and former President of the New York City Council
- Letitia James, New York City Public Advocate (pending availability)
- Melissa Mark-Viverito, Speaker of the New York City Council (pending availability)
- Christine Quinn, former Speaker of the New York City Council
- Ronnie Eldridge (moderator), activist, former politician, and host of Eldridge & Co. on CUNY TV
This is the opening program for our upcoming exhibition Beyond Suffrage: 100 Years of Women & Politics in New York (opens October 11, 2017); to view all of the programs in the series, click here.
Attention, Members, to receive your discount, click on the “Buy Tickets” here, then sign in to your account on the ticketing page.
Groups of 10 or more get discounts and priority seating, email or call us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-492-3395.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons – Melissa Mark Viverito by Metropolitan Transportation Authority of the State of New York, Letitia James by editrixie, Christine Quinn by No Answers, Carol Bellamy from the Global Partnership for Education.
- Harlem Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito Heads To Texas To Talk Policies Of Change (harlemworldmag.com)
- Harlem Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito And Others Support Of “Ready To Rent” Program (harlemworldmag.com)
- Harlem Speaker Mark-Viverito Statement On The Closing of Rikers Island And More (Video) (harlemworldmag.com)
- Harlem’s Mark Levine, Melissa Mark-Viverito And Others Pass Gas Piping Legislation (harlemworldmag.com)
- Harlem Speaker Mark-Viverito Remind Harlemites To Register To Vote This Friday (harlemworldmag.com)
- Harlem Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito And NYC Council Members Kick off Participatory Budgeting (harlemworldmag.com)
Become an Harlem World Insider - Sign-Up For Our Newsletter!