Continuing to Monday August 13, 2018, the Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce will host a series of events as part of the 44th annual HARLEM WEEK festivities, including Thursday’s New York City Economic Development Day. In connection with HARLEM WEEK’s theme celebrating women, this event will celebrate Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Muriel Petioni, April Ryan, Cheryl Wills, Gwen Ifill, and Cathy Hughes—all women who have helped to change face of the media, health, and tech industries. Special guests in attendance will include: April Ryan (American Urban Radio Networks’ White House Correspondent) and Alfred Edmond Jr. (host of Money Matters).
HARLEM WEEK’s Economic Development Day features a full day of conferences focused on the business and economic development of the Harlem community. The day’s conference will include presentations by developers with new projects in Upper Manhattan and across New York, as well as presentations by businesses providing and promoting regional and international business opportunities for women, local and minority owned businesses and more. Sessions during the day will include The International Business & Health Conferences; Public & Private Sector Business Expo; Tech “MeetUp”/ Business Conference (presented by Silicon Harlem), and more.
A full schedule of events for HARLEM WEEK’s New York City Economic Development Day is as followed:
- Business Summit (Celebrating Oprah Winfrey): 9:30-11:30 AM
- Health Summit (Celebrating Dr. Muriel Petioni): (9:30-11:30 AM
- Public & Private Sector Business Expo: 10 AM- 3PM
- Outdoors Farmers Market: 10 AM-4 PM
- Basil A. Paterson Business Awards Luncheon (Celebrating Women in Media: April Ryan, Cheryl Wills, and Gwen Ifill): 12-2 PM
- Technology Meet-Up Summit: (Celebrating Cathy Hughes)
Additional featured events for the week of August 6th include the Harlem/Havana Kickoff 2018 Exhibit Opening Event; Jazzmobile’s 1st Annual Celebration of Dizzy and the Jazzmobile Salutes Harlem/Havana Festival Celebration of Jazz/Afro-Cuban Music/Dance (please see additional details / program times/locations below).
- Harlem/Havana Kickoff 2018 Exhibit Opening Event – Monday, August 6 | 6:00 PM | Harlem Hospital Mural, 16 W 137th St.
- Jazzmobile’s 1st Annual Celebration of Dizzy with the 32nd Police Precinct – Tuesday, August 7 |7:00 PM – 8:30 PM | The Dizzy Gillespie Mural, 229 W 135th St.
- New York City Economic Development Day – Thursday, August 9|10:00 AM – 5:00 PM | Columbia University, Broadway between 116th & 114th St.
- Jazzmobile Salutes Harlem/Havana Festival Celebration of Jazz/Afro-Cuban Music/Dance – Sunday, August 12 | 1:00-5:00 PM | Denny Farrell Riverbank State Park, W. 155th St.
For a complete list of HARLEM WEEK events, please visit
Become an Harlem World Insider - Sign-Up For Our Newsletter!