SHOP, THE NEW HARLEM WORLD SHOP!
From filth to flies — some restaurants across Harlem have dirty secrets they’d rather you didn’t know or think about. Fortunately for the diner’s well-being, New York City’s Health Department is watching.
Every year, inspectors go unannounced into more than 24,000 restaurants in the city. Of them, the majority are fine, but some fall disgustingly short of the city’s cleanliness requirements.
The most common violations, according to the city, are food stored at wrong temperatures, vermin, “plumbing” issues (the mind boggles) and basic food safety protocols not being followed.
Every week, the good folks at Patch will tell us which restaurants have gotten the chop – try not to read over your lunch break.
Inspection scores above 28 earn eateries a C grade and extra close monitoring from the city’s health department – which could decide to shut it down.
These are the restaurants closed down since May 24, 2019, according to the New York City’s Health Department :
TAKE A HARLEM GOSPEL & JAZZ TOUR
Le Monde 2883 Broadway, NY
Violation points: 71
- Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
- Food, food preparation area, food storage area, area used by employees or patrons, contaminated by sewage or liquid waste.
- Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
- Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
- Plumbing not properly installed or maintained; anti-siphonage or backflow prevention device not provided where required; equipment or floor not properly drained; sewage disposal system in disrepair or not functioning properly.
Click here to the list of closed restaurants in other parts of NYC.