Harlem World Magazine sends a shout out to the NY Rangers for taking it to the next level and going to the Stanly Cup playoffs against the LA Kings for the second time in 10 years..As Governor Andrew Cuomo said “…the Rangers will return the Cup to its rightful place, the great State of New York.”
We love the NY Rangers for being champions on the ice and in Harlem, as they are huge supporters of the Ice Hockey In Harlem (see photo above) and the Harlem Dowling After school Youth program.
On top of that the New York Rangers’ 2013-14 season is going to make for a great inspirational movie some day. All the elements are there: adversity, upheaval, coaching changes and a team bonding and persevering through personal tragedy.
The shout out was spurred on by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo who today announced an interstate wager with California Governor Jerry Brown on the matchup between the New York Rangers and the Los Angeles Kings in the 2014 Stanley Cup Final, which begins Wednesday, June 4.
If the Rangers win, Governor Brown will send Governor Cuomo:
• “California: A History” by Kevin Starr.
• Lumberg Organic Brown Rice Cakes, Lightly Salted.
Come on – is that it?
Listen to this, if the Kings win, Governor Cuomo will send Governor Brown:
• A Taste NY Gift Basket, featuring products from local businesses across the Empire State.
• A commemorative hockey puck from the 2013 “Hat Trick” of three on time budgets in a row.
The Taste NY Gift Basket will include:
• Red velvet cupcakes from Make My Cake, Harlem, NY – now you’re talkin!
• Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce, Erie County
• Two award winning Ice Wines: The 2011 Vidal Blanc Ice Wine from the Leonard Oakes Estate Winery in Orleans County and the 2012 Vidal Blanc Ice Wine from the Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards in Schuyler County
• Lupo’s Spiedie Marinade, key ingredient for Binghamton’s famous Spiedie Sandwhich, Broome County
• Gianelli Hot Italian Sausage, Onondaga County
• Sammy and Annie Food’s Chicken Riggie Pasta Sauce Starter, Oneida County
• Parker’s Pure New York Maple Syrup, Parker Family Maple Farm, Clinton County
• America’s First Kettle Chip, Saratoga Chips, Saratoga County
• Apples from Fishkill Farms, Dutchess County
• Oysters harvested off of Long Island’s shore, Braun Seafood Company, Suffolk County
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver said, “Ice hockey is a way of life in the Empire State, part of a winter tradition that has been battled on lakes, ponds and rinks from Lake Placid to Long Island to Lake Erie for generations. In 1994, Governor Mario Cuomo and the New York Rangers delivered the Stanley Cup to New Yorkers. In 2014, Governor Andrew Cuomo and the Rangers will return the Cup to its rightful place, the great State of New York.”
The first game of the best-of-seven 2014 Stanley Cup Finals will be played Wednesday, June 4 at 8:00PM EST, in Los Angeles.
Harlem Cultural Archives is a donor and foundation-supported Historical Society, Its mission is to create, maintain and grow a remotely accessible, online, interactive repository of audio-visual materials documenting Harlem’s remarkable and varied multicultural legacies, including its storied past as well as its continuing contributions to the City and State of New York, the nation, and the world. Support Harlem Cultural Archives and click here to get more Harlem History, Thank you.