On Sunday, July 23, Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer will host “Caregiving 101: The Essentials of Caring for Others (And Yourself!),” a conference for New Yorkers dealing with the challenges that come with caregiving for family members and friends.
A panel of expert speakers will discuss contemporary issues in caregiving and answer questions, and will include:
- Dr. Matthew E. Fink, Feil Professor of Clinical Neurology, and Chair of Neurology, NYP/Weill Cornell Medicine;
- Jeffrey G. Abrandt, Senior Law, Partner, Goldfarb Abrandt Salzman & Kutzin LLP;
- Sarah Koppel, LCSW, Social Worker, Mount Sinai Visiting Doctors Program; and
- Martha Sullivan, DSW, Executive Director of NYC H+H | Gouverneur, founder and Chair of The Citywide Behavioral Health Coalition for Black Elders, Inc.
- Did you know it’s OK to say ‘no’? — Strategies for caregiver self-care and avoiding burnout, led by Mark Gibbons of the Caregiver Action Network.
- Practical answers to important questions — Answers on where to find help, how to pick care agencies, how to make long-term care plans, and more, led by consultants from PSS Circle of Care.
- Legal, financial, and healthcare planning — An overview of important documents, legal instruments, and how medical and longterm care are paid for, led by Jeffrey G. Abrandt, an attorney specializing in healthcare and elder law.
- Alzheimer’s disease and dementia — A presentation on warning signs, diagnosis, and coping strategies, led by CaringKind.
- Caregivers in sickness and in health — A review of the role of family caregivers across different types and phases of illness and care settings, led by Dr. Myra Glajchen, Director of Medical Education in the MJHS Insitute for Innovation in Palliative Care.
- Interior design and home adaptations to ease caregiving — A presentation on adapting the home for greater safety, function, and accessibility, led by Rosemary Bakker, a certified interior designer and gerontologist with Health Advocates for Older People.
- Preventing injuries for home caregivers — A training on how caregivers can avoid physical injuries and safely turn, move, and otherwise assist patients physically, led by physical therapists with the Visiting Nurse Service of New York.
Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer
Medical, legal, and social work experts
Community healthcare and service organizations
Caregiving 101: The Essentials of Caring for Others (And Yourself!)
Sunday, July 23
12 noon – 4 pm
Main panel at 1 pm
Fordham University School of Law
150 West 62nd Street
Members of the public: RSVP on Eventbrite
Members of the press: Email Andrew Goldston, Press Secretary
Event co-sponsors include: Fordham Law School, the Caregiver Action Network, PSS Circle of Care, CaringKind, the Well Spouse Association, NYC Health + Hospitals | Harlem, Weill Cornell Medicine | New York-Presbyterian, the Visiting Nurse Services of New York, Music & Memory, Health Advocates for Older People, Dorot, and JASA.