As one of America’s leading producers of canned vegetables and fruit, McCall Farms produce is picked at the peak of ripeness and immediately canned, locking in its flavor and nutrition. Not only does this Eat Your Vegetables Day recipe taste great, but it’s packed with nutrients, too.
- 1 tsp. fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced 1/4″
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced 1/4″
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced 1/4″
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups vegetable juice cocktail, low sodium
- 1 (15 oz.) can Glory Foods Sensibly Seasoned Tomatoes, Okra & Corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can light red kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- Place the jalapeño, onion and peppers in a 3 to 4 quart saucepan. Heat and stir. Add about 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir the vegetables occasionally until softened.
- Add remaining vegetable broth, vegetable juice cocktail, Glory Foods Sensibly Seasoned Tomatoes, Okra & Corn, kidney beans and ground black pepper.
- Heat gently until the gumbo comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a heaping 1/4 cup of white rice in each bowl.
McCall Farms, is one of America’s leading producers of farm fresh canned vegetables and fruit, McCall Farms has been cultivating food for more than 177 years. The family-owned and operated company produces a wide variety of Southern-style products under the Margaret Holmes, Glory Foods, Peanut Patch Boiled Peanuts and Bruce’s Yams, as well as private-label and foodservice products, all of which are sold nationwide. Based in Effingham, South Carolina, McCall Farms products are grown on 2,000 acres of family farmland with an additional 18,000 acres contracted throughout South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. http://www.mccallfarms.com/
Become a Harlem insider - Sign-Up for our Newsletter!