District Council 9 begins its formal recruitment process for Glazier apprentices.
Recruitment will last from May 6 to May 19, 2022, at the Union’s Training Center in Long Island City, NY.
This recruitment covers the Hudson Valley, Long Island, and New York City regions.
“District Council 9 is proud of our apprenticeship programs and the opportunities that they provide to hardworking New Yorkers. Our apprentices gain skills that give them access to family-sustaining careers,” stated Business Manager/Secretary-Treasurer Joseph Azzopardi. “Our apprentices are the future of the industry and will be the driving force in the effort to build back our state.”
Apprenticeship Recruitment Information
- Applications run from May 6, 2022 – May 19, 2022, Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
- Apply at the Finishing Trades Institute of New York, 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, NY
Apprenticeship applicants must meet the following requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). A proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in the apprenticeship.
- Must be physically able to perform the work required, as determined by a site evaluation and personal statement. More information will be provided during the mandatory 3-day orientation.
- Must sign an affidavit stating that they are physically able to perform the work of a glazier, which may include:
- Lifting and carrying material and equipment up to 70 pounds.
- Working from ladders, scaffolds, lifts, and suspended scaffolds
- Must be able to read, hear, and understand instructions and warnings in English.
- Must take a mandatory drug testing after selection and prior to enrollment and random throughout the apprenticeship.
District Council 9 is a chapter of the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, an organization of painters, decorators, wall coverers, drywall finishers, sign painters, metal polishers, bridge & structural steel painters, civil service painters, lead abatement workers, glaziers & architectural metal glassworkers, paint makers and allied trades.
The International Union of Painters and Allied Trades is dedicated to securing and improving wages, benefits, and overall working conditions for its members.