This early nineteenth-century structure was located on the high ground overlooking the Hudson River on the line of West 126th Street, just north of Grant’s Tomb. Originally the home of the legendary Michael Hogan, it was later occupied by Viscount Courtenay and was purchased by the Jacob Post family in 1821.
The inscription at the bottom reads:
“Claremont, many years the Residence of/Lord Courtney, afterwards Earl of Devon/Now in Riverside park, at 122nd St.”
This watercolor was painted by Abram Hosier and was probably copied (with modifications) from the lithography of Residence of the Post Family–Now Claremont Hotel in Valentine’s Manual (1861).
For the best picks in Harlem, get HWM's must read newsletter!
Via New-York Historical Society painted by Abram Hosier.