Miguel Algarín, the acclaimed and award-winning poet, is one of the founding fathers of the Nuyorican literary movement, and he is one of the original creators of the historical Nuyorican Poets Cafe on the Lower East Side. He is currently receiving medical care at ArchCare: Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center.
There is a famous line from a salsa song that states:
Lo que me vayan a dar,
Que me lo den en vida
Whatever you wish to give me,
Give it to me while I’m alive.
Hence, we are celebrating Miguel’s life and legacy now.
This very brief, but powerful living tribute will feature performances of his works by some of Miguel’s friends, colleagues, contemporaries, proteges, and loved ones. Performers include Bob Holman, Caridad De La Luz (aka La Bruja), Carlos Manuel Rivera, Danny Shot, Eliot Katz, Jesús Papoleto Melendez, Lois Griffith, Myrna Nieves, and Nancy Mercado.
- Official government ID is required to enter the facility, but the event is free and open to the public, hospital staff and patients.
- Programs will be provided at the event, and staff will be available to answer questions about Miguel’s work and legacy.
- Photography is allowed only of the stage due to hospital regulations and guidelines.
- For general information, contact Carlos Diaz, ArchCare Community Liaison, at 212 360 1056.
- Please be advised that the program has been finalized, and because of time constraints, we are unable to accommodate any further performances.
- Please feel free to spread the word and the flyer.
The Miguel Algarín Tribute Committee: Carlos Díaz, Jesús Papoleto Melendez, Lois Elaine Griffith, Luís Cordero Santoni, and Ricardo Muñiz
The community has come together to celebrate his life and work with a living tribute.
Celebrating the Life and Legacy of Miguel Algarín will take place on Saturday, March 23, 2019, from 1 to 3 pm in the first-floor reception hall.
Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 1249 Fifth Avenue at East 106th Street (6 train to 103rd or 110th), Harlem, New York.
Photo credit: Via source.
Become an Harlem World Insider - Sign-Up For Our Newsletter!