After decades of community and global activism, the statue of J. Marion Sims was finally removed from East Harlem on April 17th, 2018. Sims was a physician who gained fame in Western medicine for his experiments on African-American female slaves. Join us for a community discussion and artistic expression as we work together to move beyond this painful legacy.
They Want to Hear from You
They invite you to come and share your thoughts about:
Shop, The New Harlem World Shop!
1) How did the J. Marion Sims statue make you feel when it was in Harlem?
2) How did you feel when it was removed?
3) Imagine standing in front of the new artwork that will replace the statue. How would you like the art to make you feel?
4) What ideas do you have for what the new artwork could look like?
5) What do you think should be considered when selecting an artist to create the new artwork?
Make your voice heard.
Saturday October 20, 2018, 1 PM – 3:30 PM EDT
Take a Harlem Gospel & Jazz Tour
New York Academy of Medicine, 1216 5th Avenue, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10029