The Harlem Youth Gardeners (HYG) Team Members will work part-time Monday – Friday (19hr/wk) over the summer, assisting with gardening and park maintenance work in four Historic Harlem Parks (Jackie Robinson, Marcus Garvey, Morningside, and St. Nicholas), New York, New York. The HYG summer program is open to youth between the ages of 15 – 19. Over the 2020/2021 school year, the program will transition to an eight hour per week after school and Saturday program for ages 13 – 17.
The program will provide an opportunity to learn about the history and ecology of the parks, gardening and landscaping, skills, as well as environmental science, ecosystems, botany, and sustainability.
The program will involve on-site fieldwork in the parks and will require manual/physical labor for up to six hours. Applicants must be comfortable working in inclement weather and have a strong interest in improving Harlem parks, gardening and ecology, fieldwork, and learning new skills.
- Two recommendations from mentors who know the applicant well
- Ability to keep to a regular work schedule and fulfill all of the job requirements
- Attendance will be required with no more than 2 unexcused absences permitted
- Ability to be organized and motivated throughout the program
- Preference will be given for residents in the following Zip Codes which border the Historic Harlem Parks 10025, 10026, 10027, 10030, 10031, 10035, 10039
Friends of Morningside Park is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background, and modal preference. BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Apply online or you may drop off an application by appointment at 14 Morningside Ave. #10 New York, NY 10026
Become an Harlem World Insider - Sign-Up For Our Newsletter!