This December, the Apollo Theater will celebrate the holidays with offerings for the entire family. Holidays at the Apollo is designed to celebrate culture, music, and community during the festive season.
Throughout its legendary history, the Apollo has consistently been a cornerstone of the Harlem neighborhood and a vital resource for community members. This year’s holiday programming epitomizes the range and vibrancy at the core of the Theater’s artistic mission.
Highlights of the Holidays at the Apollo include:
- Ballet Hispanico (Friday, December 1 – Saturday, December 2) in collaboration with the Apollo Theater makes its return to the Apollo stage, led by Eduardo Vilaro, to present three inspiring works that reflect the resilience and triumph of the human spirit to capture contemporary Latino culture through movement.
- The 26th Annual Double Dutch Holiday Classic (Sunday December 3), presented by the National Double Dutch League, returns to the Apollo stage—bringing together national and international communities of jumpers.
- Coca-Cola Winter Wonderland (Saturday, December 9), the theater’s free annual family event taking place under the iconic Apollo marquee, features live entertainment, presentations, and a visit from Santa.
- 8th Annual Amateur Night Holiday Special (Saturday, December 9), a special edition of the theater’s signature program Amateur Night showcasing talented young alumni of the show’s “Apollo Stars of Tomorrow” category. Performers include Christian Guardino, Matthew Whitaker, and Asia Hickman with special guest host Wé McDonald.
- Apollo Live Wire—How I Got Over: The Spirit of Gospel Music (Sunday, December 10), a special edition of the Apollo Live Wire discussion series exploring the history and influence of Gospel music and the Black religious experience. This discussion will be led by Judith Casselberry, author of The Labor of Faith: Gender and Power in Black Apostolic Pentecostalism
- Fantasia Christmas After Midnight (Wednesday, December 13), starring Grammy Award-winning singer Fantasia Barrino.
- Holiday Joy: A Gospel Celebration (Saturday, December 16) featuring Yolanda Adams, Donnie McClurkin, and Greater Allen Cathedral Choir.
- Showtime at the Apollo: Christmas (Wednesday, December 20 at 8:00 p.m. on FOX). Host Steve Harvey will be joined in this all-new holiday episode by the some of the nation’s top musical acts offering renditions of their favorite Christmas songs, including performances by Snoop Dogg & Boyz II Men, Fifth Harmony, and DMX, as well as by up-and-coming hopefuls competing to win the approval of the notoriously vocal Apollo audience.
- 11th Annual Kwanzaa Celebration: Regeneration Night (Saturday, December 30), now in its 11th year at the Apollo, honors the principles of Kwanzaa through music, dance, and community celebration featuring Abel R. Salaam’s Forces of Nature Dance Theatre and French music duo Les Nubians.
Get to Apollo Theater’s full 2017–2018 for full season at www.apollotheater.org
Shop, The New Harlem World Shop!
Photo credit: Winter Wonderland – Shahar Azran Courtesy Apollo Theater