Resident above and retail stores at the bottom of this beautiful apartment building at Lexington Avenue and 125th Street in East Harlem, 1890’s.
At the end of the nineteenth century, the in between time of the Third Avenue El and before the subway of the 1920’s the original Irish and German-American communities were rapidly being replaced. East Harlem was being replaced by Italian Harlem and a Yiddish-speaking community of Eastern European Jews, which was located between Lexington Avenue and Fifth Avenue.
The intersection is a mix of cobblestone, pavement and trolley car tracks looking northeast on a sunny afternoon.
Note: We love the barely visible American flag in the upper right hand corner.
No related posts found...