Harlem EatUp! and Citi organized the photo last week with 62 chefs, both local to Harlem and those with restaurants in lower Manhattan came together to pay homage to the 1958 photo, “A Great Day in Harlem.” Citi was inspired to create this moment to celebrate their participation in the HarlemEatUp!
At its core, Harlem EatUp! is about celebrating the new and enduring talent that make Harlem a historic neighborhood exceptional, which can also be said about the community of chefs in this group portrait.
Some great moments and chefs captured in this photo include:
- Internationally-renowned Chocolatier, Jacques Torres, who mingled with Melba Wilson of Melba’s Restaurant on West 114thStreet, right before taking a seat next to each other in the front row.
- Chef Charles Gabriel, a Harlem veteran whose name and restaurant, Charles’ Country Pan Fried Chicken, have long been synonymous in Harlem with delicious golden fried chicken, brought along his secret weapon—a custom-made frying pan nearly 3-feet wide and manufactured by a steel factory in his home state of North Carolina. Charles sat next to one of his frequent customer and Harlem EatUp! co-founder, Marcus Samuelsson.
- Before the camera flashes went off, Chef Marvin Woods of Asante Restaurant in Atlanta took a selfie with Tren’ness Woods-Black, a third-generation heir of Lenox Avenue’s world-famous Sylvia’s Restaurant.
- Food Network stars Marc Murphy, Scott Conant and Aarón Sanchez made the journey uptown to show their camaraderie.
- Two of NYC’s trusted culinary authorities on poultry stood side by side: roast-chicken luminary Chef Jonathan Waxman of Barbuto and Harlem’s shepherd of smothered friend chicken, Norma Jean Darden of Spoonbread.
These are just some of the stories encapsulated in this chef class photo.
Festival and reinforce its dedication to Harlem. This photo truly captures the community’s present-day influence as a culinary melting pot leading up to the festival in Harlem May 14 – 17, 2015.
Citi, is a founding festival sponsor and photo credit Nick Ruechel.
Products are provided for purchase through AmazonSmile link to help support Iris House a center for Women living with HIV in Harlem and this site.
BUY IT ON Shop HW