A great wooden school of the Beth Israel of Harlem, a Hebrew School at 208 East 119th Street in East Harlem, New York, 1932.
In the foreground the photographer shoots the cobblestone streets at 119th Street of the Beth Israel of Harlem. The wood framed two story Harlem house is sandwiched betwee two brownstones, the one of the right is part of the schools two separate structures that make up the whole (walk downstairs to the right). On the posts of the house signs talk to passer-by’s about the Hebrew school teaching Arabic languages.
The photograph is from the source taken by Charles Von Urban.
Harlem Cultural Archives is a donor and foundation-supported Historical Society, Its mission is to create, maintain and grow a remotely accessible, online, interactive repository of audio-visual materials documenting Harlem’s remarkable and varied multicultural legacies, including its storied past as well as its continuing contributions to the City and State of New York, the nation, and the world. Support Harlem Cultural Archives and click here to get more Harlem History, Thank you.