Healthfirst, one of the nation’s first value-based health insurers, is sharing Healthfirst ADVANCE — its evidence-based approach to closing health equity gaps among members/patients.
Based on programs Healthfirst has implemented in downstate New York for nearly 30 years, Healthfirst ADVANCE highlights a series of best practices shown to reduce issues of equity in the healthcare system.
Healthfirst ADVANCE also serves as a call to action to other health insurers across the nation to be part of the movement to advance health equity and implement programs to address the long-standing gaps that the pandemic further exposed.
Become a Harlem insider - Sign-Up for our Weekly Newsletter!
Founded in 1993 by 15 leading New York hospital systems to align incentives around better health outcomes and greater access to quality care, Healthfirst has embedded health equity in its operational model. Today, the insurer serves 1 in 5 New York City residents, including more than one-third of the city’s Medicaid population. Its membership is one of the most diverse among health plans in the United States, with members who speak more than 70 different languages.
“After nearly 30 years in the business of fighting for health equity, we continue to see everything we do through that lens,” said Pat Wang, president, and CEO of Healthfirst. “Health insurance companies can be used as a force for good that can be mobilized to help in a deeper, more meaningful way. We work hard to keep our 1.7 million members healthy and ensure they all have access to high-quality care when they need it. No one should lack access to the healthcare they need and deserve. All New Yorkers should have the opportunity to live their healthiest lives.”
According to Wang, Healthfirst is committed to continuing to share its learnings and best practices regarding health equity with the healthcare community. Healthfirst will also continue to work closely with its hospital system sponsors and others in the industry and the community to create collaborative advancement to close the health equity gap.
Built on health equity
Healthfirst ADVANCE calls on health insurers, hospitals, physicians, community organizations, and governments to work together towards healthcare that is:
- Available to all people, with equal opportunity to access quality care
- Data-informed to close gaps in care and support care continuity and coordination
- Value-driven through hospital, physician, and insurer alignment around optimal health outcomes
- Accessible when and where help is needed, so everyone is surrounded with opportunities for healthcare access and continuous insurance with no gaps
- Nurturing and human-centered so it is easy to engage with and navigate
- Community-based with strong ties to services and resources that promote whole-person care and address social determinants of health
- Evidence-based with the best available clinical expertise and research guiding every treatment plan, care decision, and public-health intervention
Communicating evidence-based outcomes
In support of its hospital system partners, providers, health agencies, and community organizations, Healthfirst is committed to sharing key learnings from programs that improve critical areas such as maternal health, senior care transitions, hypertension, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, asthma, behavioral health, and others.