SHOP, THE NEW HARLEM WORLD SHOP!
In 2016, Drug Policy.com reported that, “Though low level marijuana possession arrests have declined, the arrests remained racially disparate, with 88% of people arrested being Black and Latino (with a large percentage of those arrested live in Harlem and Northern Manhattan), despite consistent government data that show young white men use at higher rates.”
Join the Cannabis Cultural Association and High NY for an evening panel and Q&A; session with Jawanza James Williams of VOCAL NY and Janos Marton of Just Leadership USA / CLOSErikers, discussing the cost of the War on Drugs, specifically the costs of cannabis arrests – “Prisoners of Pot”.
Come and hear what the cost of the War on Drugs is to POC, in terms of incarceration rates, sentencing, and outcomes *after prison (for those not facing life sentence for a plant).
- Highlight the delta in incarceration rates and length of sentencing between POCs and Whites
- What is the rationalization in sentencing/incarceration in some states for what is legal in others?
- Outline what are some outcomes and limitations facing those that have served prison time for a plant
The event will have selected pieces on exhibit from Escaping Time: Art from U.S. Prisons, exhibits and sells artworks created within prison walls nationwide. Light food and beverages will be provided during a pre- and post-event networking sessions for speakers and guests.
- Janos Marton, Director of Policy and Campaigns at JustLeadershipUSA
- Jawanza James Williams, an alumni of Public Allies of New York, and Center for Neighborhood Leadership, and is a member of Black Youth Project 100.
- Leadership Coach Michael Zaytsev, or Mike Z, is the Founder of High NY and author of The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Cannabis.
The Cannabis Cultural Association is a 501c3 that helps marginalized and underrepresented communities engage in the legal cannabis industry, emphasizing criminal justice reform, access to medical cannabis, and adult use legalization.
TAKE A HARLEM GOSPEL & JAZZ TOUR
Thursday, October 26, 2017 from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM (EDT)
Future Fires Entertainment, 48 West 25th Street, 10th floor, New York New York