Vandervoort & Tucker And The Harlem Beach Baths, 1880’s

washburn-in-1882In the early 1880’s the Harlem Beach Baths property on the west side along the Harlem piers was owned by Charles M. Vandervoort and William G. Tucker, including several small frame buildings, a two-story frame factory that made paints, oils and cement. They also owned a three-story brick building that was used for storing coal and the manufacture of chemicals, varnishes, and brewers’ supplies and a three-story brick building used by H.C. Campbell as a planing mill and a sash, blind and molding factory.

On October 8, 1886, a fire destroyed the baths and the pavilion along with over $50,000 worth of property along the East River from 116th to 117th streets (source).

Related Articles

Leave a Reply