This 9-month program, led in partnership with the Coro New York Leadership Center, teaches community-based organizations from Harlem to Hollis, Queens innovative management strategies, including how to support small businesses and strengthen commercial districts.
The Program also provides access to a network of over 2,000 engaged alumni who are making positive change in New York City.
We offer leadership development programs that train emerging and established professionals in new ways to lead change in their organizations and communities and enhance the vitality of the city’s commercial districts:
Neighborhood Leadership Program
We partner with the Coro New York Leadership Center to help staff from community-based organizations across New York City develop leadership skills, learn new approaches to commercial revitalization, and connect to key stakeholders and resources critical to leading change in their organizations and communities. The Neighborhood Leadership Program is made possible by Community Development Block Grant funding through the Avenue NYC program.
The nine-month program teaches innovative management strategies, how to support small businesses and strengthen commercial districts, and provides access to a network of over 2,000 engaged alumni making positive change in New York City.
How to Apply
The application period is open until November 5, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. To apply for the program, which begins in January 2019, you must submit an application through the Coro New York Leadership Center website. Applications must be received by November 5, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. in order to be considered for the 2019 program.
Neighborhood 360° Fellows
Neighborhood 360° Fellows help community-based organizations complete commercial revitalization projects and connect local stakeholders to City resources. The fellows are paid by SBS and are full-time community development professionals, community organizers, or planners. We aim to build a network of leaders prepared with commercial revitalization expertise and experience in New York City neighborhoods.
Who Can Apply
We are looking for Host Sitesthat meet these minimum criteria:
- Nonprofit community-based organization (Business Improvement Districts, local development corporations, merchants associations, and other organizations) that implement commercial revitalization projects and are operating in New York City and incorporated in New York State
- Able to assist in recruiting candidates and interviewing finalists
- Able to provide the fellow with a desk and supporting equipment (i.e. computer and access to organization’s phone)
- Time and willingness to act as a mentor for the fellow
- Applications to host a 2019-2020 Neighborhood 360° Fellow are now open. See the How To Apply section below for more information about the application process.
Fellows selected to participate in the 2019-2020 cohort will meet these minimum criteria:
- New York City resident (within 90 days of the start date);
- One or more year(s) of community outreach, organizing, and/or planning experience;
- Have an interest in economic development and working with the placement neighborhood/community;
- Please note, applications to become a fellow will open in January 2019.
What Fellows Will Do
Neighborhood 360° Fellows are placed in New York City community-based organizations for 10 months to implement commercial revitalization projects and connect stakeholders to City resources. Types of projects include:
- Business Attraction/Retention: Attract new businesses or retain existing businesses to ensure commercial districts have a diverse retail mix that serves the community and reduces the retail vacancy rate.
- Merchant Organizing: Lead the strategic planning, outreach, and organizing efforts to create a new or revitalize an existing merchants association.
- Placemaking: Cultivate a sense of place that capitalizes on the unique characteristics of the commercial district, incorporating key traits of the neighborhood and activating public space for the community.
An overview of the 2018-2019 host sites and projects can be found below.
How To Apply
Applications to become a fellow are currently closed. Applications to become a 2019-2020 Neighborhood 360° Fellow will open in January 2019.
Applications to become a host site are now open. To apply for the program, you must submit an application form via SurveyMonkey Apply by October 28, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. in order to be considered for the 2019-2020 program.
The application process involves two steps:
- Create an account and complete the eligibility form
- Complete the application form, which includes the following sections:
- Organization information and background
- Program interest
- Potential fellowship project
Applications are due by October 28, 2018, at 11:59 p.m.
Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to attend an information session where staff will provide a comprehensive overview of the program and walk prospective applicants through the application process.